Saturday, September 29, 2012

Foochow Braised Fried Noodles ( 炒煮面 )


I'm here cooking one dish believed to be quite popular among the the Foochows community. The Foochows is one of the main chinese group in the state of Sarawak, particularly in Miri. I am not a Foochow, i dont understand the dialect neither do i know much about Foochow dishes. But over the last few weeks, i've seen and know more about Sarawak dishes in Facebook page here, submitted by both bloggers as well as non bloggers. Just click on the link to visit our MFF Sarawak Food Fest page, you can see some of the entries there. Do not also forget to check the roundup of our Malaysian Food Fest for Sarawak month over at Sharon's blog on October 1st.

Now coming back to this dish, i'm sure everyone can cook this at home. If you do not have the famous foochow red rice wine, you can just use the chinese Shiao Hsing wine like i did. It's very tasty despite no stock was used, the oil was aromatised by frying the prawns and meat in it , so it's advisable not to peel off the head of the prawns when you cook this and with a couple spoonfuls of sauce and wine, this is really good. Try it. Thanks Kelly, i know i'll be cooking this again.



Recipe ( from Kelly Siew Cooks)
Serves 1
Ingredients
1 serving of yellow noodles
2 large prawns, cleaned and trimmed
2 fish balls, sliced in half
few thin slices of pork fillet
1 clove garlic
some chinese spinach ( choy sum )
1/2 tbsps of dark soy sauce ( or more if you prefer darker )
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
1 tbsp of Shiao Hsing wine/ Foo chow red rice wine
1 tsp of cornstarch + 1 tbsp water for thickening gravy
some oil for frying ( i used my leftover lard oil)

Method:
1. Rinse the noodles and set aside.
2. Pour some oil ( i used my leftover lard oil) into the wok, set on high heat and saute garlic, prawns and fish balls till oil is fragrant . Add in the noodles and toss it around. Add wine, dark and light soy sauce followed by the vegetable. Then add enough water ( around 1 cup or more ) to cover the noodles and cook for 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook as it will cause the noodles to turn soggy.
3. Pour in the cornstarch solution, turn off the heat and add a splash of wine. Serve immediately.


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest ( Sarawak Month ) hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts

26 comments:

  1. Lena, this looks great! And simple recipe, I LIKE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at your noodle at this time just makes my belly growling. haha... Wonderful dish to serve at anytime.
    Btw, wishing you & your family a very Happy Mid Autumn Festival. Enjoy & have a great time.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Lena! I love, love this delicious noodle recipe, and the photo of it is so awesome and totally inviting. Wish I could reach thru the screen and grab that plate! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo those prawns looks good, i bet they got lotsa good stuffs inside the big head! Funnily, my MIL has never made this noodle before. Reminds me of the usual cantonese braised yee mee, but with red rice wine, sounds nice. I shall try this soon, thanks Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..the big head prawns looks good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Lena,

    Your fried noodles look so appetising
    A great cook like you, not surprising
    I love braised fried noodles
    As much as I adore The Beatles

    Recalled eating this dish with mum and dad
    When I was a happy-go-lucky young lad
    Listening to a sentimental Beatles' number
    Sweet memories of my late father & mother

    Have a lovely mooncake festival

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, i haven't had breakfast yet, this bowl of noodle was made just in time for me, hahaha! Like the big prawns there & the noodle looks a bit like "yi mien," hoh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eileen, Hundred Eighty DegreesSeptember 30, 2012 at 11:55 AM

    Hi Lena, I prefer eating noodle to rice... your plate of noodle looks so good: )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good,Lena..more of the cooking wine in please. I just love the flavor in chinese cooking. Happy Mid Autumn Festival. Gonna play lantern with my kids tonite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmmmm ! Another must-try dish , Lena ! It looks delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious, Lena! I love prawns, and your giant-sized prawns would definitely make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg look at the large prawns

    Happy mid-autumn festival!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wah love this bowl of noodles! Big sweet prawns and yummy noodles...stomach churning!
    Also want to wish you my good friend a wonderful Mid-Autumn Festival! Many happy blessings to you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these noodles with black sauce, and those prawns look so good with the noodles! It's 10pm but now my stomach is growling looking at your dish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, the noodle looks so good with those giant prawns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. babysumo: thank you! give it a try!

    kristy: thank you and hope that you had a great celebration too with your family!

    elisabeth: it's very tasty and i'm sure you can also cook this since you've also cooked a few asian dishes! try it!

    esther: haha! yeah, the orange good stuff! now you can cook this to surprise your hubby!

    claire: hey, one day we go tanjung tualang eat prawns, want or not?

    ReplyDelete
  17. dreamer:

    i was reading your comment on sat night
    in my car stopping at a traffic light
    guess what, "hey jude" was playing on light FM
    that was around 12.30am

    hope someday you will cook this your own
    to revive memories of a home sweet home
    live in all you seek and to love
    the folks will be smiling from above.

    p/s no joke abt the song..:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. jessie: yeah, actually it looks like those braised yee mee but if you put red wine, i think it should taste quite differently.

    eileen: me too, eating noodles for lunch everyday!

    jen: thank you, hope you had a good time with the kids last nite!

    anne: i think you will like it!

    joyce: haha! u dare to eat the head or not?

    angel: thank you, hope you had a lovely warm celebration yesterday!

    bee2: thank you, my friend for everything!

    mich: this is easy, try this at home!

    angie: thank you!i wonder how long have you not eaten these noodles...:))

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look like Hokkien mee, my husband kind of food,,yum yum..

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this type of noodles, because it so wet with gravy. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena, not really fancy mee but I don't mind to have the big prawns and fish balls.

    You sure can cook very well, it look good but can make mine kueh tiaw noodle? LOL

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Saw it on Kelly's blog and my tummy went rumbling. Now I see it and it rumbles as well...which only means I have to do it soon. Don't know where to get the Foo Chow red rice wine. Its nicer with it:D

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am actually on a low carb diet but when I saw the photo, my mouth begun to moist. There's something about ramen that makes me want to try so much even by just looking at it. Thanks for the post. I'll try this one soon.
    - MiracleNoodle.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey somehow I missed this post... good job!! And using lard is such a good idea hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete