Monday, June 4, 2012
Chicken and Egg One Bowl rice dish ( Oyako-Don )
This is a really a quick and easy one bowl rice dish that i'm quite sure many of you will enjoy. Okay, i'm not somebody who can read and understand japanese but after checking from the internet, it says oyako means parent and child , so that's the chicken and egg here but dont ask me the question what came first, the chicken or the egg :)
I already have mirin, dashi-nomoto (bonito flavoured seasoning ) in my house earlier because i thought i wanted to learn to cook some easy japanese dish, but not quite sure of the sake. Then i saw Fern mentioned something about cooking sake in one of her posts, i'm glad i read that cos i almost bought the drinking sake instead of cooking sake which i guess both are entirely different thing. I tasted the cooking sake ..taste like white wine with very slight saltiness at the end. And if you're someone who is new to these ingredients like me, believe me ..there's nothing about these flavours in the dish here that are overpowering or strong..just comforting . Love this dish, i've done this twice just last week. Thanks to Fern for sharing this recipe.
Recipe ( from To Food with Love, adapted from Japanese Cooking at Home by Hideo Dekura)
200gm chicken thigh fillet / boneless chicken thigh
1 tbsp mirin
Dashi mixture ( with some slight modifications)
2 tbsp light soya sauce
1/2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp cooking sake
1/3 cup dashi stock ( 1/8 tsp of dashinomoto mixed with 1/3 cup water )
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 stem spring onion, sliced diagonally , plus extra for garnishing
2 eggs, beaten
2 bowls cooked rice/ short grained sushi rice
1. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and marinate with mirin. I marinated for 40 minutes
2. Combine ingredients for dashi mixture
3.Pour a little oil in a small pan and fry chicken pieces until browned and cooked.
4. Add onions and fry till softened and add the spring onions and stir briefly.
5. Add dashi mixture and bring to boil, reduce heat, pour in the beaten eggs in circular motion over simming mixture, set over low heat till egg is just cooked.
6. Place a portion of hot rice into each bowl and slide half a portion of chicken and egg toppings over the rice in a bowl and garnish with spring onions.