Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Chicken Piccata

I was contemplating to make a lemon bar and also this when i was choosing something to make for this month's Cook like a Star event hosted by Zoe from Bake for Happy Kids . The 'star' chosen for this month is Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). I finally decided to make this Chicken Piccata. As much as i would also like to make the lemon bars, i think i just got to put a hold to it first as i still have a few slices of cakes sitting in my fridge.

So what is chicken piccata? The name sounds a little foreign to me. In wikipedia , it says it is a italian word and is used in reference to way of preparing food, particularly meat and fish, sliced and served in a lemony buttery sauce and parsley. The meat is seasoned and dredged over with flour and breadcrumbs, fry them with olive oil and the main ingredients of making the sauce are lemon juice, white wine , butter and also the oil drippings from the frying earlier. Capers can also be added. Yay! All these ingredients dont sound foreign to me, i have all these at home and another good thing is that it takes only 30 minutes to make this chicken piccata.


Before pouring the sauce onto the chicken, i tasted it..the sauce. I thought it tasted a little funny.It tasted too lemony and buttery..i thought. So I just poured a little and then quickly took photos cos i wanted to eat them warm. After everything was done, i sat down and ate it and i started spooning some sauce onto the chicken.  Eh, it's not bad .now eating it with the chicken , it tasted differently and actually started spooning more sauce onto the chicken . It's not so lemony now, the flavours of the sauce got into the chicken, it's a little tangy and fresh but if i make this again, i will make a lighter buttery taste. Yet, i'm glad that i made this, something which i havent eaten before and glad that i didnt end up just eating only the plain breaded chicken.

Recipe ( from Foodnetwork.com)
2 split, boneless chicken breasts
salt and black pepper
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 tbsp water
3/4 dry seasoned breadcrumbs ( i used plain breadcrumbs)
olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided into 2 tbsp and 1tbsp
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tsp of capers ( my addition )
chopped parsley leaves ( i used chinese parsley )

Method:
1.Preheat the oven at 400F/200C. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2.Place each chicken breast betweenplastic warps and pound t0 1/4 inch thick and sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.
3.Mix the flour with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp of pepper in a shallow plate. In another plate, beat the egg with 1/2 tbsp of water. Place breadcrumbs in another plate.Dip each chicken first with flour, egg and followed by breadcrumbs.
4. Heat 1 tbsp of olive in a large pan over medium heat and place the chicken breasts, cook them for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. ( as i cooked the 3rd and 4th piece, i added more olive oil onto the pan).
Place them on a sheet pan and bake for 5-10 minutes while you make the sauce.
5.Wipe out the pan with paper towel. Melt 1tbsp of butter, add the lemon juice, white wine, capers, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.Boil over high heat until the sauce reduced to half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tbsps of butter and swirl to combine. Serve the chicken breast on each plate and spoon the sauce over and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.



31 comments:

  1. Not boring indeed ! The name even sounds exciting ! lol Delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realised that Ina likes to use a lot of lemon and butter for her baking and cooking.

    30 min to cook this beautiful dish! Lena, you are really fast in your cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lemon does add a refreshing flavour to any dish. Lovely recipe and Lena I actually m drooling after going through your post :D
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The name is very exaggerating, lol! But looking at the ingredients, I know 92% of it. Another 8% is capers... I gotta google for it :p

    Beautifully baked! Anything with chicken breast, I'm loving it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing a new recipe, sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! 30 minutes sound really good to make this delicious chicken! Just ngam-ngam nice for me to prepare dinner! LOL Will try this yummy recipe too! Have not tried any savory dish from Ina Garten actually! Lemon bars sounds good too! BTW I've tried your Lazy Chicken with 4 ingredients & it was delicious! My family loved it so do I! hehehe Have a lovely week, Lena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena....I think I will like this very much...my kind of food ...but have to watch my diet...but you tempt me la...so wont be long before I try this :) Thanks for a new preparation !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena, your meal looks delicious.
    Kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sophisticated dish, Lena. Didn't know it is chicken until I read the name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, learned some new thing today...:)
    very nice and beautifully cooked dish, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! Crisp and soft on the outside! How simple this is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena, this looks really delicious. Regret I have never heard this name. But sure would love have a few pieces.
    Looks crispy.....done to perfection, looking at it.
    Have fun.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is new to me but it looks great, Lena. I think I would like this..since Joyce is growing lemon in her backyard, when it's in abundance with fruits, probably she can ship you some and you can make all your lemon bars as you want..lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love piccata dishes...your chicken piccata looks lipsmacking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lena,
    What's Baking is right! I do have a pot of lemon tree in my backyard, with four lemons at the moment! Haha, lemon belum turn yellow, hopefully it is the right lemon, just bought the plant two months back with two fruits, now it has four!! Your Chicken Piccata looks so delicious, you made it in 30 minutes, I'll finished it for you in ten, deal? haha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The crust on this chicken looks fabulous. I have always wanted to make Picatta and never have. I am not sure why but you have made this look delicious and I think, the time has come, to do something about changing my ways. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, another day of learning for me, 1st time of hearing piccata! Thanks for sharing with us. You have capers at home! Impressed. That means you love cooking western food more than chinese? you should move to Australia, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, your Chicken Piccata is totally amazing, and delicious...so glad you included the capers. Photos are beautiful, as well!
    The actual original recipe does not call for breadcrumbs, just flower, but I love your way with the yummy breadcrumbs, that makes it taste so much better. Absolute perfection, my dear...I want to pin this on Pinterest!

    BTW-I never heard of this Cook Like a Star blog hop, would love to check it out, and join!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. one of my fave dishes. simple and yummy. i make it less buttery too to accomodate my mum who loves the tanginess but not the buttery taste. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena,
    Your chicken piccata looks really yummy.
    I like the crispy crust and soft inside.
    Guess what..I have just brought back some lemons and thinking of making the lemon bars..hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. The chicken looks perfectly seasoned and cooked! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Lena, the chicken is very well done and look perfect, really yummy.
    When I visit you, can you cook this for me?

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks like chicken cutlet and must be delicious with the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the name of this chicken dish. Hope I still got time to join this event.

    ReplyDelete
  25. anne: cooked this out of curiosity and at the same time, want to give support to zoe!

    zoe: you see, while i was choosing the recipes,i also looked for something that doesnt take too long to make but this is alright, not too bad :)

    anuja: actually i like the lemony taste more than the buttery, you have a good day too!

    yvonne: the capers taste a little sour and salty, like pickles. You can get this at jusco and tesco.

    sonia: thanks, you are welcome!

    kit: thanks! nice to hear that you like the lazy chicken. You can taste the sauce when you're making this and make adjustments if necessary, i think i will put in less butter in future.

    elin: hope you will like this :)i'm sure you can cook this much better than me.

    duxa: thank you!

    sheoh yan: nice name , huh? but if you read the recipe, it's really isnt anything too complicated.

    sherleen : thank you!

    daphne: yeah, fast and simple!

    lee: thank you. YOu are very chinese when it comes to food, not suprised that you hv not heard it before. Me too, first time!! haha!

    jen: wow, she has lemon trees in her garden! never hear her talking about that! i always think that lemon tress are quite difficult to plant here :D

    angie: thank you!

    joyce: right lemon?? hahaha!

    chaya: thank you for your nice compliments! maybe you shld then give it a try and see if you like it :)

    jessie: i cook more chinese than western actually but taking part in this event, gives me more opportunity to learn to cook western. I just got those capers few weeks back, wanted to try how they taste like actually, maybe make some thousand island with them.

    ReplyDelete
  26. elisabeth: i think the breadcrumbs make them much crunchier to bite. Thanks for your nice compliments. THe event is held every two months and a celebrity chef would be chosen where we will cook his or her recipes. Hope you will get to join the event in future. The next nominated chef is Jamie Oliver.

    missyblurkit: yeah, do taste the sauce when you're making it and adjust to your liking :)

    muimui: thank you. Since i wont be making the lemon bars, would very much like to see yours :))

    sook: thank you!

    amelia: can! then you bring all your coconut treats over!!

    cheah: you're right, a breaded chicken with some lemony buttery sauce.

    ann: still one more week before the event closes. Hope you can find something to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum, chicken picatta is a household favorite for us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your chicken piccata looks wonderful, nice photo! I have not made it in awhile, a nice reminder. It use to be a quick easy go to week night meal. I did an easy version with just a dusting of flour, and I liked to use less of lemon if it was too tangy. Some add wine to theirs, but I usually don't. I would love to join in on the Cook like a Star, probably too late for this one...a shame I have Ina's cookbook. Hopfully next time!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love Chicken Piccata! Actually I just love the lemon, caper and butter combination. It's fabulous with fish too. Now I'm tempted to take out that piece of Chicken breast in the freezer...... :P

    ReplyDelete
  30. Another way of serving chicken is always welcome specially when it is an easy way like this one. I like.

    ReplyDelete