Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Homemade Granola with Wolfberries


I never knew that making my own granola can be so easy. I will usually get a box of dorset cereals from the supermarket here if i want to take granola. As i was looking at the box when i was preparing my yogurt, i saw the list of ingredients listed on it..oats, raisins, pumpkin seeds, almond flakes, sunflower seeds, honey, vanilla, etc..hey, i have all these ingredients with me..maybe i can try making my own granola. I searched the internet and found there are quite a number of granola recipes across.... very simple steps so i decided to make it my own. To me, i think the best thing of making my own granola is not that the one i made is healthier as i do believe that the dorset cereals are quite good and healthy too...it's actually we have the choice over what we want to put in. Maybe you do not like raisins or coconut flakes in there or maybe you prefer some other nuts, so it gives us the the flexibility of putting our favourite ingredients in the granola. No actual source, just putting what i like. Besides some of the usual ingredients, I also added some chinese red dates and wolfberries after the granola completed its baking.



Recipe:
2 cups rolled oats
2/3 cup wheatgerm
3 tbsp flaxseeds
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup chopped almond
3 tbsp maple syrup
21/2  tbsp honey
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon


after baking, add these:
a handful of wolfberries
1/4 cup seedless chinese red dates
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
3 pieces of dried apricots, chopped into small pieces

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 170C. Line  a baking sheet or baking tray.
2.Mix maple syrup, honey, vegetable oil, ground cinnamon in a bowl.
3.Combine rolled oats, flaxseeds, wheatgerm, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and chopped almond in a large bowl. Pour in the honey mixture  ( no 2) into these dry ingredients and mix till everything is well coated
with the honey mixture. Spread these into a baking sheet or baking tin and bake for 25 minutes till they are golden brown, stirring them every 10 minutes.
4. After baking, add in the dried apricots, raisins, dried cranberries, chinese red dates and wolfberries.
5. Let cool down and store in airtight container.


Granola with Yogurt
queenie, as per yr request, this is the maple
syrup that i used.
Put some granola into the bottom of your bowl or glass, spoon some yogurt on top, followed by another layer of granola and  some fruits. Enjoy.

if you use wolfberries from the fridge, you may find them a little hard. You can thaw them first , they will turn soft.

* on another note, my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake for happy kids will be starting a blog hop "Cook like a Star" on the 1st March 2012 and the first food celebrity that Zoe has chosen is Donna Hay. Everyone is invited to join , so quickly go and look up for donna hay's recipes and join in the fun and support! Please visit Zoe's blog for more details!

31 comments:

  1. Sounds easy to have homemade granola - maybe I can try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really doesn't sound difficult, and seems like a very healthy and delicious snack too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good....I like the flexibility of the ingredients too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena....making your own ,you can have your all fab grains and nuts and dried fruits. cheaper and in term of freshness ,homemade ones are the best;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, I still haven't got an oven. Your homemad granola is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, I love Granola, healthy and yummy snack ever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how colourful the granola is.
    Best of all, garanti fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lena, your granola looks really good! I love lots of apricots in them! Healthy snack that only me and hubby enjoys, not the kids!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love granola too! Great ideas to add wolfberries since it has very medicinal purposes. Will try it out, thanks Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ... I wish I could snack on this in front of the TV. What a luxury that will be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just that simple? *jot, jot* will try it out one day. A version healthier and cheaper than those on supermarket racks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yeah! I have been making my own for years! it's awesome! But Goji berries- that's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very clever of you, Lena. I do agree that it is much healthier to make you own. Thanks for sharing..this looks easy enough to make.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Lena ! Thank you for dropping by ! Really appreciate it ;) Anyway , you're right it's better to make a homemade granola . You can put any fruits , nuts etc that you like even chocolate :P and it's healthier , too ! Nice addition of wolfberries , it adds another gorgeous color to your granola ;) Btw ,your photos looks mouthwatering hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love granola!! cos they are so sweet.. so now I know what gives it the sweetness.. can eat in with peace of mind (for I use to think they added sugar =P)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very easy and healthy dessert.. love it ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks Lena for being so supportive!

    This breakfast idea is fantastic! Heard that wolfberries are good for our eyes and skin...I would call your version of granola "a beauty food" :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lena, i'd like this for my bfast plssss... *slurp* :)
    Lena, i have some awards for u at my blog, pls drop by whenever u're free :)
    http://iloveicookibake.blogspot.com/2012/02/awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Donna Hay, one of my fave dessert Queen!

    Btw, thanks for the Granola recipe, good for shaping my body, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lena, thanks for the recipe, look quick and easy. Delicious and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi lena, a very nutritious and appetizing dessert. great .. and yogurt? mmmm i will add vanilla ice cream.
    have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really looks very simple and yummy! I want to make this granola too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. lena, what a great idea for making granola using chinese dried fruits instead of the usual raisins! I think they're even healthier than your usual raisins actually, and wolfberries are especially high in antioxidants (:

    ReplyDelete
  24. The granola looks absolutely heart warming and delicious and perfectly cooked! I can;t wait to try it. Never heard of wolfberries before? What are they? Very interesting

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh my creative lena...thank you for the great idea...sure cheaper punya kan? and looks delicious too...

    I need something yang mengenyangkan tapi tak menggemukkan...idea you selalu terbaik...thank you lena..mmuah!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! This is such a hearty and healthy dish! Definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing! (:

    ReplyDelete
  27. My last attempt to homemade granola ended up in dark bitter smoky stuff lol. Your look so perfect. I am gonna give one more try.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really like your blog!! It´s very nice and cute.
    All the recipes and post, are both very interesting :D
    I´m your new follower!
    I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you like it.
    xoxoxo from Spain
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh how luxurious. It looks like it came out from a boutique restaurant. Yummy yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was thinking for a long time to make my own granolas. I never had a recipe of my own. I bookmark the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  31. After all the indulgence of the holidays, I should live on this for the next few months to loose those inches I gain. I like th composition of your first photo.

    ReplyDelete