Friday, January 13, 2012

Mushroom Garden


I do not know what to name this dish so i just simply call it ' mushroom garden'. There are 3 types of mushroom here; chinese mushroom, shimeji mushroom and Bai Ling mushroom. I tried to look at the can for the english name of this bailing mushroom but there isnt any, it just states as bailing mushroom. It's my first time cooking this mushroom, i've seen it in a magazine sometime back..something like this dish so i wanted to try bailing mushroom. After cutting it looks like slices of abalone..the fake abalone..quite tasteless.  As i've have some anchovies stock and shimeji mushrooms left from my simple noodle lunch, i just went ahead and cooked this. If i were to cook this during chinese new year, i probably would use chicken broth, i think this would taste much better using chicken broth. There are 3 pieces of bailing mushrooms in the can, i just used one..you can also use some other variety of mushrooms like straw mushrooms or the whole button mushrooms if you wish and the quantity is really up to you. Now what am i going to do with the 2 pieces left in the can? i  guess just dump it again for my next noodles and eat with chilli or else just keep it till CNY next week and cook it.



Recipe
Ingredients
8 pieces chinese mushrooms, soaked till soft and drained
1 piece of bailing mushrooms, cut into slices
just a small bunch of shimeji mushrooms, washed and cleaned
140gm brocolli , cut into florets
150ml anchovies/chicken broth

bai ling mushroom

Seasoning
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
little dark soya sauce for colouring
salt to taste
chicken powder( optional)
cornflour solution, for thickening ( 1 tsp cornflour + 2 tbsp water)

Method:
1. Blanch the broccoli under boiling water in the pot till they are tender. Remove.
2. Using the same boiling water, blanch the bailing mushrooms just for a minute ( i dont think it's necessary but i did that). Remove.
3. In a wok, pour in the stock, let it boil and put in the oyster sauce, sesame oil, dark soya sauce and taste. You can add in some chicken powder here if you are using.
4. Put in all the mushrooms and let them cook under medium heat for about 8-10 minutes. Taste and add salt if necessary. Pour in the cornflour solution, stir for about few seconds and off the fire.
5. You can then arrange them on a plate and pour the sauce all over.

Will be submitting this post to the Aspiring Bakers Event#15 : Auspicious Chinese Dishes for CNY( January 2012 ) hosted by Wen from Wen's Delight

41 comments:

  1. Love the name of your dish. May have eaten the Bai Ling mushroom before without knowing what it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom love cooking this dish during CNY. We like it a lot especially when she add a can of abalone in it :) Is the bai ling mushroom call King mushroom too? They do look similar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cheah: yeah, i think i've eaten those too maybe at wedding dinners but just dont know what they are :)

    gert: i dont know..maybe it's King mushroom. after slicing, look so much like abalone :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bai Ling mushrooms are delicious!
    I used to think they are sliced abalone, hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this dish! I could just eat a whole plate of this without anything else! Delicious! Yes, cooking with chicken broth definiely makes a difference. Beautiful dish, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy!and it does look like a dish that came out from the restaurant:D

    mum in law does something similar but she adds kei chi for added colour.

    bailing mushroom is used as mock abalone as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yeah! i usually wait for this mushroom dish during cny banquet haha weird.. but mushrooms are yum

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, I heard from my aunt that Bailing Mushroom is nice. Will KIV this recipe for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish is so suitable to eat during CNY reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info cause I seldom buy canned mushroom except the button mushroom. Btw, I thought they called this as abalone mushroom! Is it the same? Will keep an eye on this one on my next shopping trip. You have made them look so good. Yummmm...
    Hope you're going to have a wonderful weekend. More shopping to do? hehe....
    Cheers
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. if convert to vegetarian version, must be yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are (bailing) mushroom? Gosh, I thought I've been eating abalone all this time. Some tasteless abalone pulak, lol!

    I like this dish, because got lots of mushrooms, my favourite~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing photo! I dont like mushrooms but I d definetely try these!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My favorite dish for any 8 course dinner :D Those are bailing mushrooms and not abalone??? Got cheated all this while..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I luv Bailing Mushroom also! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like king oyster mushroom! Love all sorts of mushrooms, this looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I could finish this whole plate of mushrooms! Love it! Looks so juicy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mushroom garden is certainly a really good name for this dish - has a most CNY-ish and prosperous ring to it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Perfectly done, Lena. The mushrooms and the broccolli looks extremely inviting..a great CNY dish, definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful name! Have it trademarked, Lena : )?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice name for a beautiful looking dish. I love all types of mushrooms. Simple yet so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow...great dish to be on the eve of CNY!! thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW, Looks LOVELY, thank you for sharing :)
    Wishing you a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who could resist a Garden of Mushrooms delicately served on such a blustery day. Not I for sure. I love experimenting with different kinds of mushrooms and I will be sure to seek out those that look like abalone.

    I am also quite curious about the anchovies stock. Do you buy it at the store or make it at home? It sounds intriguing and for some reason, I love the way fish stock brings out the intense flavor of mushrooms.

    Thank you so much for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummmm, I want to jump into this garden. It's a beauty and I'm sure tastes wonderful. I wish I had axcess to many kinds of mushrooms. At first when I read your title I was excited to see how you grew your own mushrooms, hehe!~

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love mushrooms! Love them! How cool is this and beautiful and just YUMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Lena,
    Very nice dish, simple dish for CNY, good work.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this dish and I thought those were abalone !!! I also thought fake abalone are called abalone mushrooms . Must watch for this canned mushroom when I go Tesco .

    ReplyDelete
  30. oh i'm the top fan of this dish, a lot of mushrooms, a lot of brocolli...i can eat rice with this dish alone...
    and this is indeed quite easy to prepare, yeah? ^^ i want to eat now!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Somehow the dish reminds me of Chinese New Year...it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Lena, I think a good choice, I love mushrooms
    Kisses and good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a delightful dish for the reunion dinner table! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is one of my fav dishes for CNY. Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Gret name for the dish. Will give this a try. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  36. True to its name- I think you are so right in naming this mushroom garden. I am drooling as I look at this- so perfect for CNY and any dinner for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looks lovely. I love shitake mushrooms... so a mushroom dish is a must have. would be a perfect entry for my event. I am hosting my first blog event plus giveaway - Valentines Special. Do check it out and be a part of it. Would be great..!

    My event- Valentines Day Special

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love all types of mushrooms - from button to shiitake to enokitake to bailing to everything! This is definitely a perfect dish to have during Chinese New Year. Shiitake mushrooms symbolizes longevity and seizing opportunities, so i'll definitely eat loads of them during this coming Chinese New Year (:

    Have a happy Chinese New Year in advance! (:

    ReplyDelete
  39. I had commented earlier this week asking how you know which ones are poisonous, and how you decide which ones to use for dye, and which ones to eat! :-)

    psilocybe cubensis syringe

    ReplyDelete