Monday, January 30, 2012

Bake Along #17 - Cherry Vanilla Tea Cake with Vanilla Sugar


Another week to go before the Chinese Lunar New Year ends on the 6th Feb, 2012. For the past one week, i didnt really go out that much except meeting up with a few close friends and to a wedding dinner. No party, no drinking , no karaoke, no mahjong but good, still contended. Also didnt really cook that much but has been baking quite a bit..some breads and thinking of some breakfast ideas which i share in the next or two posts.
As for now, cherry vanilla teacake. JoyceZoe and myself have decided to bake this cake for our bake along this time. I like the texture of the cake very much, soft with moist crumbs and the cherries complement well with the cake, not very sweet and not too rich. The sugar topping on top is vanilla sugar, i was expecting it to melt into the cake but it didnt , maybe it got a little cool when i sprinkled that on top. Nevertheless, i still claimed that it's a very nice teacake. The recipe below is half of the original recipe, baked in a 7" round cake tin.

For our next bake along on Feb13, we will be baking Red Velvet cupcakes in conjunction with Valentines Day. You can use any red velvet cupcakes recipes of your choice , post it and link it back to one of our blogs. Thanks!



Recipe: ( from Bon Appetit Desserts )
93gms cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
57gm butter, at room temperature
80gm sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canned pitted dark cherries, halved, drained

For sprinkling
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1tbsp sugar
2 tbsps powdered sugar
( i used vanilla sugar)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 177C. Lightly butter and flour a 7 " diameter baking tin with 2 inch high sides.
2.Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until well blended. Add egg, beating well and blend in vanilla extract.
3.Transfer 1 tablespoon dry ingredients to small bowl. At low speed, beat half of the remaining dry ingredients into butter mixture, then mix in sour cream . Beat in remaining half of dry ingredients . Mix cherries into reserved 1 tablespoons dry ingredients, fold cherries into batter.
4.Spoon batter into prepared tin, smooth top. Bake until tester inserted into center of the cake comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Transfer cake to rack and cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from springform tin if using or invert cake onto plate.
5. If you do not have vanilla sugar, using a small knife, scrap seeds from vanilla bean into small bowl, mix in 1 tbsp sugar, rubbing with fingertips to distribute seeds, add powdered sugar and rub again. Sift vanilla sugar over hot cake and cool.


33 comments:

  1. Oh yummmm, perfect for afternoon tea !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks lovely. We enjoyed it too, really moist and soft. This cake would be great without any cherries too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesJanuary 30, 2012 at 10:11 AM

    This looks good to go with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, tell you one thing, you and many bake and cook bloggers have successfully inspired me to start baking. My Lunar New Year resolution is to bake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lena, nice tea cake to go with a cup of cuppa. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like mine, I think your cake looks very moist and delicious too!

    It was a hot day that I baked this cake and the sugar did melt a little when I sifted the sugar on the warm cake. Then, I watched the sugar absorbed into the cake surface...It felt like magic! I think with or without sugar, this cake is still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really delicious! I like the sprinkle of sugar on the top too, kinda decorative:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pefect golden color. I join you for tea can? This cake certainly looks good for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so delicious!
    I love the sprinkling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this kind of texture of the cake, soft and moist. I wish I could have it as a snack for my afternoon tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LENA, AUNTY COPY RESEPI NI YA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can I have a piece? It looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious. Perfect with my Nescafe kurang manis, :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gong Xi Fa Cai Lena! Hope you had a good CNY celebration! ohh the Cherry vanilla cake look mighty fluffy and yummy! Looks like a nice everyday cake too. ;) OOoo...I am so looking forward to the red velvet cupcakes you ladies gonna bake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just died and went to heaven looking at this tea cake. Beyond beautiful and amazing. You can just taste how delicious it is from looking at the pics! I;m drooling

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wah, got natural vanilla beans....sure is tasty...

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect cake!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Lena! This cake looks delicious, light and perfect texture...I just need a cup of tea to go with it.
    Beautiful pictures as always.
    Hope you have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cake looks perfect for tea! I can see the vanilla seeds on top of the cake, lovely! I've nominated an award for you, hope you'll like it! (:

    http://foodismylife.wordpress.com/2012/01/29/cold-abalone-slices-with-sweet-and-spicy-sauce-awards/

    ReplyDelete
  20. So we have to be very precise with the use of cake flour?!. Happy baking and good luck (in case you go for mahjong : )!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Long time since I last eaten tea cake. Haven't been baking any cakes with eggs lately. haha.... The cake looks really smooth & delish.
    Hope you're still enjoying festive mood.
    Cheers
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cake is just nice for tea time, and I'm drooling now by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks so good. I like the texture, it looks like a big doughnut! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oooo, that looks so good! Perfect with a cup of hot tea, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena, looking at this dish, even if you 200 miles away invite me for tea.....I will be there, rain or snow or shine.
    Looks real good.
    May I have 3 pieces please?
    Ha ha, always a thrill drop by here Lena, and seeing cakes most I have never eaten.

    You have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lena...you really use this book to the fullest. I still have not try out all of them :( Time to bake something out from the book ! Happy baking !

    ReplyDelete
  27. Many of your visitors will surely enjoy having some pieces of this during this festive season.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the texture of your cake....very tempting. Oh, lots of cherries here. What about moving here...I mean to Aberdeen and not other place in UK :D You'll see me often at your doorstep....hehe. Great that you have a contented CNY. Over her...no atmosphere of CNY :( But happy too. Would be happier if the weather is not so cold.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gong Xi Fa Cai Lena! send me a piece right now for my afternoon coffee break, sound so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cross breed... a little bit country, a little rock and roll! I like!!!

    ReplyDelete