Thursday, December 22, 2011

Free and Easy Bake Along #15 : Apricot and Walnut Bars


Somehow my apricot bars look quite different from the original recipe here. I have a bad habit of not drafting my post after i bake something..this was written 2 weeks after i baked and also never realised that i've done a mistake here until now..i suspected i could have measured out my ingredients wrongly cos i've marked my flour as 94gms. It should hv only been 42gms instead. But these bars still can be eaten..infact i wouldnt say it's not delicious but it should have been much much better. Instead of  a bar, they look something like a type of crisp, firmer crisp. Yeah, at times i'm just that clumsy and disorganised. So let me just put down the original recipe here instead of what i actually put in in order not to mislead you. Now i'm eager to see how my other fellow bake buddies' apricot bars turned out.

This will be our last bake along for the year . Our next bake along on the 9th Jan, 2012 will be making brownies, you are welcomed to make any brownies you like. Lastly, i would like to wish all of my friends,  everyone Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ! Catch up with all of you when i come back next year. Enjoy the holidays! Bye!


Recipe ( original from Bon Appetit Book or here)
Shortbread Layer
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes

Apricot Layer
2/3 cup dried apricot halves, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup golden brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts

Powdered sugar for dusting

Method:
Shortbread Layer: Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Spray 8x8x2 inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray or butter your baking dish. Blend flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter, using on/off turns ( pulse mode) process until coarse meal forms. Press crumbs firmly onto bottom of prepared dish. Bake until center is golden, about 25 minutes. Maintain oven temperature.

Apricot Layer :Meanwhile, place apricots in a small saucepan, add enough water to cover. Boil until soft, about 4 minutes, drain.Set aside and let cool.

Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat eggs in large bowl. Add brown sugar and vanilla, beat until blended. Stir in flour mixture, then nuts and apricots. Spread over shortbread.

Bake until puffed and dark brown and tester inserted into topping comes out with small moist crumbs attached, about 35 minutes. Cool in dish. Cut into bars, transfer to waxed papers. Sift powdered sugar over bars.


55 comments:

  1. I would think that my bars are not as firm as yours with the original amount flour added. I wonder if the crisper type would taste.

    I would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. I'll see you soon *wink*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, delicious looking bars. I love the apricot layer.
    Merry Christmas to you and family. Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your apricot bars look perfect and nice clicks too!
    Have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lena, You must have been thinking about your "holiday" when you measured out your flour! Hehe! It looks good anyway! This is one tasty bar!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family, enjoy your holidays! Like Zoe says, "I'll see you soon"! (wink, wink too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks very rich for me, may be because I think it is sweet. This is certainly good to be one of the Christmas special for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so yummy, would try out this recipe soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apricots. Walnuts. And that magical, snowy dusting of powdered sugar to complete it - feels like Christmas finally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, "Happy Winter Solstice"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, your apricot bars look perfect. Here's wishing you Merry Christmas and A Prosperous New Year and Happy winter solstice too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena..they look good anyway :) Here is me wishing you and family Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year ! Have a nice trip and enjoy your Christmas over there ! See you when you are back next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, must be very sweet rite? I would only go for chocolate bars...hehehe

    Happy Dong Zhi to you and ur family members at home ya.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think these look fabulous even though they're not 100% what you wanted. I really like the idea of shortbread and baked fruit..delicious!

    Merry Christmas to you and a Happy New Year also. I am looking forward following your brownie recipe and more recipes as well from you in 2012

    ReplyDelete
  13. The bars still look delicious to me! I didn't have time to join the Bake Along this time, but I'll definitely try to join the next one! I love brownies!!! (:

    Merry Christmas! Have a wonderful holiday! (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow wrong measurement also boleh jadi:). Looks perfect. I always forget some ingredients even though I have already prepared and measured it aside.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Merry Christmas too- hahaha..I think it looks good but I make the same mistakes sometimes too! frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  16. gosh..now my appetite is back, i am drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bar still looks good to me. Just wanna wish u merry christmas, happy holidays and a great 2012 to come!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I should have visited you tomorrow morning after breakfast. You have made a lot of awesome Christmasy bakes. Now I got to wear a bib to go to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena,what a fantastic cake, your pictures make me salivate ... is delicious!
    Merry Christmas to you and your family.
    Kisses dear:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH your apricot bars look amazing and moist too! Looking forward to your next year brownie bake along! Have a merry Christmas and wonderful new year lena!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have not try any apricot bars before. Looks sweet and tempting... Btw, I can't tell if your apricot bars is out of shape. I would simply enjoy them.

    Merry Xmas, Lena and have a wonderful holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  22. hi Lena, i think crispier type will still as yummy :)
    Merry Xmas to u and family :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena,

    "Merry Christmas & A Very Happy New Year To You & Family"

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesDecember 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

    Hi Lena, they look good! Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  25. first time in your space...wow..the apricot bars look so delicious...beautiful clicks....glad to follow ur space....do visit mine in your free time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks delicious even with mistakes, would love to have a taste:D Merry Christmas to you lena:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. They do still look good. I think it would be fun to do a bake along. Maybe ai join in January.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Merry Christmas and have a blessed 2012!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks great to me! heard you've met Joyce..heehee..so our secret is out!! Have a Merry Christmas, Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year. Hope you drop by, we have a Liebster Blog Award waiting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your closeup shot of this bar makes me feel like bitting off the screen.

    Have a Blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is good source of energy for me to start my morning.....

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE LOVE LOVE! Oh my word they are delicious looking and making me drool just a little bit:) Also, didn't comment on the previous post but I can see the first picture in the background as I type this comment and I am intrigued and so impressed! just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  34. Have yourself a bigger, better, brilliant-er 2012, dear! Happy New Year! :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lena, beautiful mouth watering cake. I could do with 3 pieces. You sure know how to make us forget about dieting and cholesterols, whatever, ha ha.

    Here's wishing you, from Canada a very happy new year and all best wishes.
    You stay young, stay beautiful, and keep a song in your heart.
    HAPPY NEW YEAR, LENA!
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Like to follow and try out your lovely bakes. :) Well Done.

    Happy 2012 to you and family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. It has been wonderful getting to know you thru the blogging world. Cheers to a better year for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think your Apricot Walnut Bars look delicious, Lena. In fact, it just so happens that January 9th, 2012 is Apricot Day! I may just share this link, lol...

    Thank you so much for all the goodies your shared with us this year. Wishing You and Yours a Healthy, Safe & Happy New Year!!! Louise.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy New Year Lena! This bars look delicious, love the combination of the apricot and shortbread.

    ReplyDelete
  40. What a great recipe! I love using apricots in recipes. Yummy flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh my gosh...that looks too tempting!! A great way to start the year. Lena, your cooking and baking is just getting better by the day...so is your photography!! Now I am jealous...haha. I need to move to stay next to you :D And that potato tree in your previous post just look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Happy New Year 2012 Lena, may this New Year bring you good luck and stay healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oooh, still holiday mood ar, my dear? No yummy new posts? :D

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hi Lena,
    I went to wish you a happy new year!!!
    kisses dear, have a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Hi Lena,
    Thank you for your kind wishes, you must be very busy, I understand cos I am busy too, by the way just would like to seek your advise, I have not try using those aluminium foil pan baking a cake, is it the same to those baking pans also can it be steam too and do I need to grease it. TQ & sorry to bother you.

    ReplyDelete
  46. love apricots Lena and these bars look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. dear all, thank you for dropping by and all of your wishes! may we all have a better and fruitful year! Love you all!

    delphine: hi, you would need to grease the aluminium foil pan when baking cakes, if not i'm afraid it will stick onto your pan. I've not tried steaming with those pans but i see there will be no problem.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Lena, this bars sounded & look as good. Wish I can have a slice right now.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete