Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Sweet Potatoes Pau
For those of you who may have difficulty getting pau flour at your place, can try using this recipe to make this sweet potato paus. You can use regular cake flour. I used plain flour ( rose flour ) to make these. The results are very good and only requires one time proofing. From what i understand from the video, it says that here it doesnt require long proofing otherwise they will create a lot of air bubbles which eventually when we put to steam, their skin will wrinkle. To be honest, i'm not too sure about this.There are times that i made paus..2 times of proofing but they didnt really wrinkle..but i know that we shouldnt open the lid of the steamer while steaming the paus , otherwise the pau will really turn wrinkled. I followed the recipe throughout..however i find that the taste of the filling is a little buttery..i would suggest to skip the butter or if you want, you can probably reduce to 15gm.
Recipe ( taken from here )
Ingredients for pau skin
instant yeast 3gm or 1.5 tsp
cake flour 250gm
vegetable oil 5gm or 1/2 tbsp
mashed orange sweet potatoes 70gm
Sweet Potato Fillings
mashed orange sweet potatoes 200gm
icing sugar 20gm
butter 30gm ( preferably to skip or reduce )
to make fillings: Mix all the mashed sweet potatoes and icing sugar together in a small bowl until well blended.
Method to make pau skin:
1. Using a large bowl, pour in water and put in yeast and stir. Add in the mashed sweet potatoes. Stir till they are well mixed.
2. Add in the flour , follow by the sugar and oil and knead till dough is soft. (I did this using a food processor. After step 1, i transferred the combined sweet potatoes and yeast mixture into the food processor and put in the flour, sugar and oil and on the machine to mix till a soft dough.)
3. Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
4. After 5 minutes, divide the dough into 6 portions and wrap in the fillings and shape into a sweet potato lookalike roll.
5. Transfer the wrapped dough into the steamer and let it proof for 30-40 minutes. Do not turn on the steamer yet and you dont need to preheat the steamer.
6. After proofing, turn on the fire on high heat and let it steam for 30minutes. ( when the water starts to boil, can reduce to medium high fire ). Turn off the fire, open the lid a little allowing the steam to escape a little, then after a minute, can remove totally.