Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Floral Vanilla Cupcakes


I've not been to any Magnolia Bakeries, have not tasted any of their famous cupcakes but i see a lot of  these magnolia cupcakes recipes in the internet. Are they the real recipe of their famous cupcakes, i wonder? These vanilla  cupcakes are soft and moist , comes with a nice light vanilla flavour and they are not sticky as they will stick to your teeth when you take a bite. There's nothing really spectacular about these cupcakes after all it's just a simple plain vanilla cupcakes but it's a good recipe. But i do hope that i would be able to taste the real Magnolia cupcakes together with their buttercream one day.

just out from the oven..it did not reach to the brim of the liners. If you look carefully at the rest of the photos, it even shrunk a little more after completely cooled down, more batter next time or undermixing?   

If it's not for the cupcakes aspiring bakers event, i don't think i will make good use of my piping tools. I hardly use them, this is my 3rd time this month using these piping tips to decorate the cupcakes. My previous ones were the Carrot Cupcakes and the recent Key Lime Cupcakes. Not that easy for me to pipe designs..with rare practise and also here with buttercream, it's quite a messy thing for me besides washing up. Even though it only takes around 8 cupcakes to complete the frosting, i had to move the buttercream in and out of the fridge 2 or 3 times. Blame it on my slow piping, my not so perfect buttercream consistency, my warm kitchen and also maybe the plastic piping bags. As much as i wanted to pipe something that looks like flowers, some of them turned out really funny, i was piping and piping and the more i piped, the more funnier it looks. The  ones that you're looking at the photos here are the better looking ones.



Recipe ( from the internet, made 1/3 of the recipe, makes around 8 cupcakes )
62gm self raising flour
52gm cake flour
75 gm unsalted butter, softened
60gm sugar
1 large egg
80ml milk
1/2 tsp vanilla ( i used wilton vanilla extract and poured in one whole capful from the bottle)

Method for cupcakes
1.Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2.In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
3.In another larger bowl, cream the butter until smooth at medium speed. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy. Add the egg and beat well.
4.Add the dry ingredients in 2 parts, alternating with milk and vanilla. With each addition, beat until all ingredients are well incorporated but do not overbeat.
Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl
to make sure they are all well blended.
5.Spoon the batter into cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full.Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean. Cool the cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes, remove and let cool completely before frosting them.

Buttercream icing  ( or any of your preferable frosting)
113gm unsalted butter
250gm icing sugar, sifted

Beat them till smooth and creamy to the right consistency.
Submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers Event #13- Enjoy Cupcakes ( Nov 2011 ) hosted by Min

** updates** at 9.36pm on Nov30, 2011- some of you asked abt the 2 tone colour on the flowers. I divide the buttercream icinginto 2 parts, one with plain white and the other tinted with colour. Then scoop the white buttercream into one corner of the piping bag and the coloured buttercream on another corner of the bag. Squeeze out the icing till you get the 2 colours out from the tip and you can start piping. I'm using a Petal Tip which is very similar to the wilton tip 125.

37 comments:

  1. I like them! So good of you to give it a try with not getting the practice that you would like. They look like dancing fairies or ladies with flowy dresses...very pretty. The cupcake looks very moist. It's nice to have a good vanila recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... so pretty. I think there is a Magnolia Bakeries near my office. The bakes are very pettite and cute but a little on the ex side. Havent try any of their bakes though ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think they are really pretty! great job lena :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena..not bad for someone who claims she seldom use the piping tools. Your icing looks good and I am sure with practice, you will be good :)
    I have a whole collection of piping tools yet seldom use them :p Can't take the cream that much unless it is cheese cream :)) Good job !

    ReplyDelete
  5. The flower piping looks really great to me. Can't imagine why you say they are funny. Haha ! They definitely are very presentable and petite cupcakes !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lina, the flower frosting looks so pretty, you said is funny? Not at all!! Yours cupcakes look presentable, am I right to see two tone purple grey on the frosting, it is yam or colouring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena, your cupcakes are SUPER STUNNING. They makes me want to bake some cupcakes and make the butter cream right away and try out the piping. How did you get the white border? I have a whole box of piping tools but I only know how to use 2 tips. Yesterday, I try to pipe some roses, it looked terrible because my buttercream was to watery. I should have taken some photos to show you and I know you will laugh your heads off. Have you seen square roses before? This "Lucy" cannot even pipe a simple design and want to do roses? That's why Quay Lo call her Lucy lor! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your piping is so cool! Particularly the white edges. How did you do that?

    I don't think they look funnier the more you look at them!! You did a great job, don't worry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the white ruffly edges!

    Send ur not so perfect ones to me, i'll gladly eat them up for you, 45 mins away only, or I'll meet u up tonight, hahahaha. I'm going down leh.

    P/s: Blogger seems to be having problem now, always Error 503. I'm using Name/URL to comment. Cannot log in

    ReplyDelete
  10. These cupcakes are so pretty. The cupcake liners too... Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cupcakes are very pretty, Lena! I am really lousy when it comes to cake decorating, even simple pipings! You did a great job! I don't have many piping tools, but whatever I have is "hibernating" in my cupboard!! hahaha
    Your cake looks moist and nice! I am having some Chinese tea right now actually, would be lovely if I can have one of your cupcakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hehe me too - I don't use my piping tips usually, until this challenge! which tip did you use for the flowers? they look super pretty!

    and magnolia came out with a cookbook, so those online should be the correct recipe, I quite like the vanilla and chocolate cupcakes :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, the cupcakes are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are really hardworking. Cupcakes are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you make the piping? It's so amazingly pretty (sorry, sounded so suaku because I don't bake).

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are so beautiful!I wish I had some right now!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesNovember 30, 2011 at 6:25 PM

    They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look beautiful and I bet they taste as good as they look. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena, I have to say I'm really admiring how well you can portion your recipes every time to make less! The cupcake looks soft and I'm trying to think how you pipe that nice topping on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  20. lets make a deal. You can come over and I will bake and then you can decorate them okay? Because seriously you are the bomb at decorating. You could make anything look irresistible with your skills. I love this recipe too! Will definitely be trying it soon

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are SO pretty! sound and look wonderful!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  22. lena,

    I (aunty Q) nampak your papercup cantik2, mana you beli?

    aunty tak jumpa yg camtu di BWY or Bagus...

    ReplyDelete
  23. You sound a little disappointed with the recipe. I think they look wonderful and I'm sure they are delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lena, you are always so brilliant making your cupcakes so pretty! The 2-tone icing is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. the 2 tone colors on the frosting make the cupcakes very attractive, lena...nice cupcakes...

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute. You did a good job with the decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Me too, me too, hope that i would be able to taste the real Magnolia cupcakes (but minus the buttercream).. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  28. The two-toned petals sure are pretty... and seem simple enough to do, after you explained it in your update/footnote. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have never been a fan of cupcakes too much as I find them too sweet. But I was attracted to these cupcakes- those swirls look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hardly ever frost my cakes because cakes are already so rich I don't want to add extra calories to them! Also, I am not good at frosting too lol! I like how you pipe your frosting in 2 tones on your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow...two toned buttercream flower!
    very well done job, Lena...really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful cupcakes! Even without a high rise, they still look light and moist, and delicious! Your flowers look awesome, especially with the two tones :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful recipe! I just can't wait for Christmas to pass to sample the recipe! Thank you for sharing it with us and we wish you A Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lena, the icing is really impressive! I tried this recipe (but I don't have your decorating skills..:D), and I think it needs more sugar...:D

    ReplyDelete