Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bake Along #13 - Key Lime Cupcakes


Mention key lime , the first thing related to baking, i would think of a key lime pie and a key lime cheesecake. Scrolling thru the pages of the Bon Appetit book, i came across a key lime cupcakes recipe. Yes, i wanted to try that, key lime seems like a welcomed flavour for me , i have never put them in my bakes and am glad that Joyce and Zoe both had also agreed to bake these.  As i was preparing the ingredients for some grated lime peel, i actually confused myself with a key lime and a calamansi lime. I took some calamasi lime from my garden and it's like taking me forever to grate the peel. Either it's too soft, too hard,too small, brownish,  i just couldnt get a proper zest. i think i've wasted quite a number of limes there. I then thought of the bigger type of lime ( we call that limau nipis in malay) which i believe is the right type of lime should be used here and quickly get that from the market. One reason why i got confused is because most of the time i just call them lime in regardless of calamansi ( limau kasturi) or key lime ( limau nipis) . Also dont confuse yourself with kaffir lime, kaffir lime is more rough and bumpy on the peel.



These cupcakes are moist and soft and  I also put in more lime peel than required in the frosting, i feel like i'm falling in love with  these cupcakes. You can also choose to use colouring or not, i did...to pyscho some of you a bit for that lime effect..!

effect from the sun..the cream cheese appears quite yellow here

Recipe ( from Bon Appetit Desserts or here )
this is 1/2 of the original recipe, makes around 6

Cupcakes
62gm cake flour
47gm self raising flour
56gm unsalted butter, room temperature ( i used salted butter)
140gm sugar
1 large egg
1 1/4 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tbsp finely grated lime peel
3/8 cup buttermilk ( i add 1 tbsp of lemon juice plus enough milk to make one cup and then pour out 3/8 cup)



Frosting
92gm powdered sugar
4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
56gm butter, room temperature
1 tbsp finely grated lime peel
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Method for frosting:  Using an electric mixer, beat all ingredients in medium bowl until smooth.

Method for cupcakes:
1. Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Line a 12 or 6 standard muffin cups with paper liners. Whisk both flour in medium bowl to blend.
2. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until smooth. Add sugar, beat to blend. Beat in eggs, then lime juice, lime peel and food colouring. ( batter may be curdled). Beat in flour mixture in 2 additions alternately  with buttermilk. Spoon batter into each liner.
3. Bake cupcakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Remove cupcakes from pan, cool completely.

I am submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #13 - Enjoy Cupcakes ( Nov 2011 ) hosted by Min


47 comments:

  1. So nice lime green and pretty. Your photos make the cake taste real delicious with the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cupcake is so beautiful with the tall cream cheese lime frosting! I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cupcake is beautiful, Lena! Thought of piping a swirl on my cupcake too, but my cream cheese is getting soft, in the end I just spread on instead! But then, in the end, the result is one delicious cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The color green and yellow of your cupcake is very contrast and attractive. The lime peel will actually make the color green? If you didn't include the recipe here, I would have thought you used pandan leaves.

    Well, I can't distinguish any limau. Normally if I want to try new recipe, I'll google for the ingredients pics. The same goes to vegetables - bayam, kangkung, etc @_@

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow thanks for your explanation - i also refer to all of them as limes and have no idea what's the difference besides size! key lime frosting does sound delicious though! and i love how the green flecks complement the yellow frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so perfect and pretty! Making me so mouth watering. Already bookmarked!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your cupcakes are very pretty. They look like they are all dressed up for a great occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowww...the cupcake colors are so bright and matching each other...like it~~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    Your cupcakes are so nice & you have good handwork. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love anything with lime more than lemon. It gives me a wake up me thing.
    Actually hoh, key lime is a specific type of lime, and it's not found here. It's sourish and bitter. Not the same as limau nipis. But, many do use regular lime to substitute with key lime, should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the colors, the frosting is so bright on the pastel green cupcakes! Bet the taste is yummy too:D Bookmarking this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite honestly I get confused with the different types of limes all the time - Devil won't trust me to go grocery-shopping for limau, I tell you! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. making me salivate again! btw, i love the cuppies wrappers. they are so colourful and cute. may i know where you got them from? great for my craft!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesNovember 23, 2011 at 6:17 PM

    The beautiful cream frosting has already captivated my heart ^_^..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena, your cupcakes look like little princesses, so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty cupcakes! I love the frosting on your cupcakes, they look so elegant:) Hope I can join you all for the coming bake along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cupcake looks so pretty, can understand why u are falling in love with it. The looks of it is already killing! Like a ice-cream!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Actually I also agak-agak key lime as limau nipis, hehehe...you have nicely bake it too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely cupcake. Your frosting skill really great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh yes, love this kind of link. haha.... Much easier for us. Btw, your cakes look fantastic. Perfect colour as well. Kudos!
    Hope you're having a fabulous evening.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, these cupcakes look so delicious, bet they taste good, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lena, your cuppies very pretty and look extremely delicious. Your piping skill look perfect too.
    Have a nice evening.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I looked at Zoe and Joyce's key lime cupcakes, the versions of key lime cupcake is different from one to the other. Love the cute swirly frosting. Great job!

    P.S- I talked to my Singaporean and Malaysian friends, strangely they weren't familiar with the name of MJ drink. :) Have a nice day, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  24. when i first open your link the first thing I see is this most amazing yellowish/lime looking frosting all swirled on top of something then I scroll down to the most delicious moist looking cupcake I have ever seen! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena.. what can i say... I really really dont know what to say.. but i think u are making me yearn for a dessert right now! phewww.. must take deep breath..hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  26. They look quite delicious, I never make cakes as we eat a couple then the rest get wasted. I love cake but one slice a week will do me fine. If I lived closer I could buy a couple of you once a week :)

    My cough started off after I had a very bad dose of flu in the UK at the beginning of October. I had a spell like this about 8 years ago when nobody could find out why I was coughing, that went on for 3 years so I hope this time they do find some answers!! I have to say this time is much worse. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the bright colors of these great cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh those beautiful swirls on the cupcakes. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The cupcakes look beautiful! I think I'll try to join the bake along the next time! (:

    ReplyDelete
  30. hey Lena, the swirl really makes me drool .. LOL... I wish to join Bake Along . Do I need to use the same recipe or any recipe which requires Key Lime ? Anyway nice cupcakes ... can't wait to make it .. heehee

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lena...beautiful swirl and I can imagine how refreshing this is :) bookmarked it !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your cupcakes not only look yummy but pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love that green on your cupcake! and the cream was piped perfectly! Tangy citrus cupcakes always goes better with me than the heavy ones.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think I can eat at least 5. Look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cupcakes, haven't tried to bake yet....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  36. hi everyone, it was nice reading all of your comments and thanks for supporting always.

    @joyce: you did some nice frosting too on the cupcakes even though they turned out a little soft..still delicious,right?

    @zoe: like your idea of the lime sugar!

    @wendy: can i call the limes here, ' Malaysia key limes" hohoho..

    @kenny: btw, what do we call ' lemon' in malay??

    @barbara: from the bakery ingredients shop . Hey, i think you should visit those suppliers shop in KL, they have much more colourful designs and varieties.

    @ MIn: yeah, if you h time, do join us for the next bake along.

    @diane: really sorry that. hope you can find out more form your doc in the next couple of days, take care!

    @jasline: thanks for coming by. Yeah, hope you can join us next.

    @abby: you can use your recipe or the recipe that we provided here. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am going to make this cupcake for sure. I am sure I can wallop 3 in one go! Love the cupcake liners, so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  38. My mouth waters terribly...those cupcakes look really delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your cupcakes look sinful, it's so neatly done, gorgeous! I hv yet try anything with buttermilk, shld giv it a try I reckon, happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
  40. these are the prettiest cupcakes I've seen - gorgeous! I love key limes - so this is perfect - really lovely
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Hi Lena, you always bake good and post great images. The shade of yellow is very pretty...temptations strong for me to eat this..

    Hi Lena, thanks for visiting and for the sweet comments, smiles to a pretty lady like you.
    Many thanks also for your well wishes and wish for you successful blogging too- achievable, because you are a great cook.
    Have a nice day, thanks from Katrina for liking her dish-washing joke. Ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  42. Malaysia key lime, hahaha, suka hati u la.
    Cos I see u like as if confused with which type of lime ma.
    I do wish Malaysia ada key lime or meyer lemons. Then can try and see what's the difference.
    BTW, I know those liners cost a bomb, Wilton ones right?

    ReplyDelete
  43. @wan: i do enjoy reading your blog for all that food information and food jokes especially! Keep it up!

    @ wendy: let me go to your blog now..

    ReplyDelete
  44. So many limes so little time, lol...I'm sorry I couldn't resist:)

    Your cupcakes are gorgeous! Would you mind passing just one through my screen. I'll even just take a lick, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  45. Looks good.
    Sorry to ask, how many grams is 3/4 cup?
    Hope you can guide me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  46. hi genie,
    can i know what are u referring to ? buttermilk?

    ReplyDelete