Friday, October 21, 2011

Steamed Pumpkin Kuih ( Kuih Labu Kukus )


The first time i made this kuih was quite sometime back, not too good as i found it more gummy on the texture. This time around, it's much much better after altering the flour and the water amount. I had eaten this kind of kuih  many years back, at a coffeeshop but no longer selling now and actually quite forgotten what was the texture like. It's not easy to find this kind of a steamed pumpkin kuih in town, i don't know why but it's nice. I am quite satisfied with the kuih this time but i know the next time when i want to make this again, i will most likely use some combination of flours and see again.  Now this you dont really have to eat with grated coconut cos it already has the wonderful fragrant that comes from the coconut milk .

If you are interested in this kind of steamed sweet pumpkin kuihs, do check out some other versions made by some of my blogger friends:
1) Quay Po Cooks - Steamed Pumpkin Kuih
2) My Little Space - Steamed Sweet Pumpkin Kuih
3)My Little Space  - Marble Pumpkin Kuih ( latest update on Oct24 )


Ingredients ( made this in a 6"x6" square tin )
300gm pumpkin, peeled, cut and steamed
120gm sugar
150gm tapioca flour
200ml coconut milk
80ml water

Method:
1. After steaming the pumpkin, while still hot, blend the pumpkin and water till puree.
2. Transfer the puree into a large bowl and combine it with coconut milk, sugar and stir to dissolve sugar. Add in the tapioca flour and stir well to combine, pour into a steaming tin and steam for 40 minutes. Remove from heat.
( Let kuih cool completely before cutting and eating , it will take several hours)




*** update on March27, 2012***
i've made another batch of this kuih and here's a revised recipe as i got feedback saying that the kuih is very soft. The kuih in the revised recipe here is still soft but slightly harder than the original version. Let it cool down completely before cutting. Let me know the feedback if any of you made this kuih. Thank you.

300gm pumpkin
120gm sugar
180gm tapioca flour
200ml coconut milk
60ml water

method is the same as above.

I am also submitting this post to the Aspiring Bakers #12 - Traditional Kueh ( October 2011) hosted by the Small Small Baker and also sharing this in the Muhibbah Malaysia Monday Event hosted by 3 hungry tummies.

36 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, eating too many kuih already , need to keep this for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! correct lor, all of us are putting on weight this month!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah, looks wonderful Lena! I am so jealous of all the kuihs everyone is making, got no time to make. Hopefully next week I can squeeze in some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena...this looks good. I have eaten those coated with grated coconut. Vernice and I love pumpkin kuih from the kuih vendor. Thumbs up for yours :) Everyone is making kuih on blogosphere :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could have this now; I have quite an appetite for coconut milk recently : ).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried this before. Love the colour and the texture looks soft too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like Ann, I've never try this before. But I love the kind of kuih with that bouncy QQ texture :) This kuih for sure is the one that I would like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay very very very intersting. I have never heard or had this before but I am liking the idea of it. It sounds yummy and fun. I am like you with gummy textures though but I also trust you when you say it wasn;t that gummy. It looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder how it taste like. I imagine it will go well with grated coconut too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must try to make Kuih if it's the last thing I do. It looks incredibly delicious and oh so pretty!

    Thanks for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been noticing all the other recipes too! Now I am excited to try making it since I won't be able to get the real thing! :) Yours looks real good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting, but I've not tasted pumpkin kueh before. I love the bright orange color and from what you said, you have found the right texture of the kueh. My mum loves pumpkin, will attempt this for her when I get some time, thanks Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pumpkin is a very healthy fruit.. can be boiled in soup, kueh or even as a dish...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gummy??? I like it gummy gummy!
    For this coconut lover, with coconut milk in it, I will still want to roll it in coconut shreds, LOL, so that I can enjoy the gumminess with the coconut. Dunno why, I just love coconut shreds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. such a pretty yellow color, definitely looks yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love recreating things which I've eaten somewhere else before ;) This sounds delicious!! I've never actually had kuih before but the flavours and the texture sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks good and light. Would like this, plain with no coconut decor.

    ReplyDelete
  18. gummy? aren't all kuihs gummy? hehe ... hmmm, if u are looking for the bouncy chewy texture, maybe try using glutinous flour. that's for u to experiment next time. hehe. i've never seen or tried this pumpkin kuih, it sure looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds delicious with chewy texture, that's how I like my kuih, chewy:D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love pumpkin kueh! Those look really lovely with light golden colour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. These look fantastic! I always love cakes/kuih with chewy consistency :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've not tried this before...
    and now there are abundance of pumpkin... thanks to Halloween... might give it a go :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. aiyah forgotten to buy pumpkin just now. If not, will try this one. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh yums! Looks like sticky sweet goodness - and the colour too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi, thanks everyone. i'm quite satisfied with the results this time but i think it can still be improved. Hope those who like will give this a try too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi lena, not only your kuehs are beautiful, but your photographs.....they really help enhance your cakes further!
    I am very impressed not only of your 2nd Dan Black Belt in cooking, baking, but your outstanding photography!
    Pity some bloggers, they make beautiful cakes, but their photographs don't do justice to their display.
    As well you have nice background to your pics too.

    I love these beautiful cakes, but regret pumpkin not on my list of cakes I go gila for, ha ha. But my wife does.
    Have a great week, Lena.
    And make sure wear a fitting t-shirt....cannot hide chickens inside, arhaaaa ha ha ha.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never prepared pumpkin in this fashion. It sounds delicious. You asked about the pumpkin patch. The pumpkin is an integral part of our Halloween celebration and families with children almost always have a large pumpkin for the children to carve. Some buy, some pick it. I live in an agricultural area, so most children here get to pick a pumpkin from a patch. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are so modest lah. I do like it, but I doubt I'll give it a try unless Devil promises to help me out - I'm not very good in the kitchen! :P

    ReplyDelete
  29. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesOctober 24, 2011 at 10:31 PM

    I've never tried or seen pumpkin kueh before. Yours look irresistible!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a beautiful color of pumpkin kueh! I have never tried kueh before but I'd love to try pumpkin ones!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Lena, you made this for me right? I love pumpkin kuih a lot. You use Tepung Ubi Kayu? I saw some people use Green Pea flour. But, tapioca flour is easier to get. I must try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh dear, I've missed out this post. Btw, thanks for sharing this recipe. I was actually looking something like this too. I'll try to add in some tung fun. See if it will give the texture more bouncy touch.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  33. The best I've ever taste in my whole life! theres no doubt about it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey I missed this post lah. Hey thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete