Monday, October 3, 2011
English Cottage Bread Loaf
Recipe ( from the World of Bread by Alex Goh )
400gm bread flour
100gm plain flour
20gm milk powder
3 1/2 tsps instant yeast
260ml cold water
Butter and sugar
1. Mix (A) till well blended. Add (B) and knead to form a dough.
2. Add (C) and knead to form a smooth and elastic dough. Let it proof for 60 minutes.
3.Divide the dough into 2 portions and shape them into balls. Let them rest for 10mins, flatten it and roll them up like swiss roll.
4. Grease 2 loaf tins ( 20cmx11cmx11cm). Put 1 roll in each tin. Leave to prove for 45 mins or till they double their sizes.
5. Using a sharp knife, slash once lengthwise across the top of the bread, place some butter and sprinkle some sugar on top.
6.Bake at preheated oven at 180C for 30minutes. Remove from mould and leave to cool.
* i made one loaf in a 10"x6" loaf tin and another one in oval shape and baked in a baking sheet.