Monday, October 17, 2011

Chicken Pongteh ( Braised Chicken with Potatoes )


Heard of Chicken Pongteh many times but it's my first time trying this. A Nyonya Peranakan dish, i believe..it is a kind of chicken stew cooked with potatoes and soy bean paste but unlike the kind of chinese style chicken stew with potatoes, the flavours here are far more heavier, salty sweet and also peppery hot.  It really has its own distinctive flavour here, a taste which i've never experienced before in a chicken dish. With 2 star anise and just 3 small cloves, they contributed so much to the overall flavour of this dish. For those who do not like the taste of these spices, it's alright not to put these in. I also added a bunch of thai basil leaves to give it a more aromatic taste. Anyone knows what "pongteh' means? Is it a Hokkien word?


Recipe (  taken from the book, " The Best Of Chef Wan" with some adjustments to my taste )
Ingredients:
Cooking oil 5 tbsps
Shallots 15, peeled and thinly sliced
Garlic 7 cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Chicken, about 800gm , cut into pieces
Preserved soy bean paste ( tau cheong)  2 tbsp
Light soya sauce 2 tbsp
Dark soya sauce 1 1/2tbsp
Ginger 2cm knob, peeled and finely sliced
Cloves 3
Star anise 2
Chinese mushrooms 10, soaked in hot water until softened then drained ( i never put mushrooms)
Potatoes 3, peeled and halved
Water 250ml or more
Red chillies 2 , seeded and halved lengthwise
Sugar 1 tbsp or slightly more
Ground white pepper 1 tsp
Pinch of salt
a handful of thai basil leaves

Method:
1. Heat oil in wok and saute the shallots, garlic , star anise and cloves till fragrant and garlic turns golden brown .
2. Add the chicken, preserved soy bean paste, light soya sauce, dark soya sauce, ginger, potatoes and stir them for a minute. Add a little water.
3. Keep stirring them for few minutes and add in water and bring to the boil.
4.Put in the chillis, sugar, salt and pepper. Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5.Throw in the basil leaves, toss to mix, reduce from heat and serve.



I am submitting this dish to the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Event hosted by 3 hungry tummies

37 comments:

  1. Yummy, my mom cook this before, is a Nyonya Pernakan dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lena, now I want to visit you to try this dish:D Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lena, this looks extremely tasty, I can smell from here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love braised chicken with potatoes, sometime with tau cheong and sometime with miso paste. Next time I'll try your recipe looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love braise chicken with potatoes. I will eat all the potatoes and the source.
    Thank for the link of the sweet pumpkin kuih.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahh i've made this dish before and if i'm not wrong it's originated from Malacca. i too wondered what 'pongteh' means! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to have buckets and buckets of rice to go among all of us! We all need rice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must confess...It is really hard seeing and reading this post with a hungry tummy. I'm thinking of "dinner" now drooling at the beautiful gravy of this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely good with a bowl of steaming hot white rice! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm....this is my favourite dish. Been wanting to try the pork version in melaka but have not been successful. my version is simpler than yours..no star anise, ginger or chillies. i replace the tau cheong with miso paste :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A homey dish that is perfect with rice. Yum ��I have the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This dish is actually reminded me of the drama "little nyonya". Love it so much. Did you watch the drama?
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. gosh love the first picture! looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena, your pongteh looks good. My family version of pongteh does not require chili at all. Yours recipe looks interesting, nevertheless!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Move over Julia Child is what I would be saying if I were you! I mean really- could this look any more delicious, any more flavorful and rich and perfectly cooked/Love the potatoes in it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks delicious! I just cooked this last week with lots of potatoes! And my mom's Nyonya Pongteh is different from yours, we do not have the spices and chili added in. It is interesting to see your version! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this dish before in Malacca, I love the taste. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will try this one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this nyonya dish. My mom inlaw used to cook this when I first married into the family and I looked forward to having dinner at her place :) all the nice nyonya dishes she would make for us . Too bad she passed away before I could learn from her. Thanks Lena for the recipe. I shall try it out one day and surprise the wild boar :p

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think I can cook this, hor? Heard of ayam pongteh so much but never tried yet..

    ReplyDelete
  20. i have heard of babi pongteh. i guess you can sub the babi for ayam! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mmm I love braised chicken. So delicious and flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i like your food pictures and want to invite you to try out tastingspot.com. it's for anyone that just wants another place to submit photos and share it will other foodies. It’s still in beta version, but would love for you to start adding some photos and help get it going.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My kind of dish and it looks like a good dinner with rice one too!! I am surprise it looks easy since it is nonya!!! would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. One of my fave nyonya food, yours look truly delish!

    ReplyDelete
  25. mm haven't had this dish for a long time now..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Lena, this chicken dish looks delicious, especially with lots of basil, I should try this one since I still have a lot of fresh basil. Looks so beautiful!
    Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know what it means, Lena. I do know I just want to jump through the screen and grab that potato in the first picture though.

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  28. My dear Lena, when we go to Malacca, this is one dish that we never miss. Now I think we come to your house better!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena, this looks very delicious. Was in Malacca the last 2 days and didnt get to try the Nonya food there - what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I seldom have peranakan dish, but I love braised chicken / pork. Can easily finish 2 bowls of rice with the gravy and potatos :D

    ReplyDelete
  31. thanks, everybody!!

    @ barbara and joyce: yeah, the traditional version i think does not come with the spices.

    @ crustabakes: yes, babi pongteh is another famous dish!

    @ tasting spot : thanks, i 'll check it out !

    ReplyDelete
  32. Mouthwatering! I want some more rice, please!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Lena, love to see your peranakan cooking -chicken ponteh. I love this dish very much. Thanks for leaving a message on my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is one of my favourite dish! Looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  35. My favorite recipe ever seriously this is the best I've ever taste in my whole life.

    ReplyDelete