Saturday, September 10, 2011

Sweet Potatoes Sandwich Rolls


This is the first kind of bread that me, Joyce and Zoe are making for our bake along. These rolls are good..not the light and fluffy type of gelatinised bread but still very nice. They are nice to be eaten warm and even cold though i find that the flavours of the sweet potatoes are quite subtle.  Taken from KAF website, they call it sweet potato sandwich rolls. Maybe it's my subconsciousness, i really find it so ideal for sandwiches . I have used hi protein flour instead of all purpose flour and substituted  the wholewheat flour with spelt flour.You can make these into any shapes you want , i tried making  them into the shape of kaiser rolls as suggested, not perfect looking but really not that important to me.  I referred  here for how to shape the rolls.



Recipe ( from King Arthur Flour website )
Ingredients ( makes 6 rolls )
For dough
1/2 cup ( 4 oz ) water
2 tsp instant yeast
2 tbsps ( 1 oz) soft butter
1 tsp salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato( 1 medium)
1/4 cup ( 1 oz )  Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk ( i used milk powder)
1 cup ( 4 oz) KA wholewheat flour, traditional/white whole wheat (i used spelt flour)
21/4 cup to 2 1/2 cups( 9.5 oz) KA unbleached all purpose flour ( i used hi protein flour)

Topping:
1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp water
1/4 cup (1 1/4 oz) sesame seeds ( optional)

Method:
To make the dough ( I did not follow exactly as per instruction, mine as follow)
Combine instant yeast, salt, milk powder and flour (reserve 1/2 cup of hi protein flour, you can add this later on to achieve the right consistency, i did not use all)  in the mixing bowl, stir to mix with a fork. Put in the mashed sweet potato, butter  and egg and pour in water little by little and beat with dough hook with slow speed. Change to high speed after all ingredients has been incorporated and beat till a smooth dough. Place in a greased bowl , let it srise for about 45mins to an hour, to almost double its size.

To shape and finish the rolls
After the first rise, deflate the dough and divide into 6 pieces. You can roll each piece into a ball, then flatten it to a 3/4 inch thick, or you can roll each piece into a 12-14inch rope and form into a Kaiser roll shape. Place the rolls on a lightly greased or parchment paper lined baking tray. Cover and let rise for another 30minutes. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if using. Bake in a preheated oven at 375F/190C for 17-19 minutes or until the tops are golden brown colour. Remove from oven.


33 comments:

  1. ohh..you make me hungry looking at the sandwich, very nice shaping and the colors is attractive :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rolls turned out great! Nice texture! Mine did not turn out as well as yours, I should have used bread flour instead of AP flour, I think that will make a difference. Will try again when I'm in the mood! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, these looks so refreshing!! Wish I can have a BIG BITE!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. they look great! and i cant wait to taste that sweety flavor of the sweet potato! mmm yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. KAF likes to use all purpose to bake bread, frankly, don't taste as nice as bread flour.
    Good thing you made those subtitutions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, your sandwich look super delicious. Very pretty picture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't use AP flour for my bake too. I use a combination of Italian OO and bread flour which yield a very soft texture. I like your idea of using spelt flour instead of whole wheat flour. There is lesser gluten in spelt flour and yet, the bread is very well-risen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lena!!! laparnya bila nampak roti ni...sandwich yang ada buah,bawang,tomato dan tauge...sedapnya...yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena...thanks for sharing this...I have sweet potatoes at home so I shall try this :) Healthy too with those alfafa and fruits filling :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I often talk about fresh sandwiches but this takes it to the next level with FRESH bread with the use of sweet potato. How awesome is this?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lena, you bake so well!
    Sweet potato must have added extra moist and softness to those buns.
    p.s You can get plenty of different kinds of potatoes here in Germany, but not with sweet potatoes...sure I can get them in Asian stores...but I wonder why there ain't sweet potatoes in local supermarkets at all. Once I saw them in a local store here and on the label said: 4euros per kilo....I had to LOL. Same goes with taro...

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's lunch time right now and these are making me SO hungry - wonderful rolls, beautiful pics!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lena, always love your photography. And very good angle too.
    Your this sweet potato rolls look really good....and first time I see them in this presentation.
    Those sprouts really adds a nice touch too.
    Have a beautiful Sunday.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy!! Hey, you had the sandwich with fruits only? So healthy! Forgot the name of those little sprouts. Where did you get them from?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, what a healthy breakfast, delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful rolls indeed, I like baking with sweet potatoes too as they give a nice golden color to the rolls:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lena, did you by any chance own a Mini Cooper back in the '70s? And a qualified nurse?
    I happened to check my old diaries saw a friend's name, 'Lena'.....no, not my girlfriend....ha ha....but a young lady I knew then when I was in Ipoh.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These rolls look delicious Lena, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love freshly baked rolls, and sweet potato is a lovely flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. 月圆圆,人甜甜。祝你越来越有钱。
    yuè yuányuán, rén tiántián。zhù nǐ yuè lái yuè yǒu qián。

    月光光,人双双。祝你心情多放宽。
    yuè guāngguāng, rén shuāngshuāng。 zhù nǐ xīn qíng duō fàng kuān。

    贵人齐,小人离。祝你大利又大吉。
    guì rén qí, xiǎo rén lí。zhù nǐ dà lì yòu dà jí。

    祝你与家人,中秋节快乐。
    zhù nǐ yú jiā rén, Zhōng qiūjié kuàilè。

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lena,
    Good idea, very nice sandwich rolls, here wishing you & family "A Very Happy Mid-Autumn Festival"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm...I love this potato bread. So pretty and delicious!
    Happy Mid-Autumn Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear everyone, thanks and happy mooncake festival to those who are celebrating!!

    @Hoong2: alfalfa sprouts, got them from jusco.

    @ uncle lee: no cooper, no nurse..i would have let you know if i knew you..how can i missed the boat??

    @ bananaman: thanks for the wishes!! 祝你中秋节快乐!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. sweet potato adds SUCH great flavor to bread. this looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena,
    Good idea, very nice sandwich rolls, here wishing you & family "A Very Happy Mid-Autumn Festival" I do not know why it went to anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great healthy buns! Love the idea as well. Thanks for sharing more bread idea.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  27. junia: thank you! this is a nice bread, would love to make these again!

    delphine: hey, thanks for your wishes, hope you had a wonderful celebration !

    kristy: always so delighted to see you here, hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Can I order some?Sweet potatoes are my weakness.I don't think I can bake this yet as I have never bake a bread in my whole entire life;-). Look so good. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My goodness, Lena, your rolls look heavenly:) I love that you gave it your own little touch with spelt and high protein flour. The hint of sweet potato must add just the right depth.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete