Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Purple Sweet Potatoes Angkoo Kuih


This is not the first time i'm making angkoo kueh, made that several times but i have to say these are the best angkoos i have made so far. They are chewy but not sticky and another good thing is that i dont have to fry the mung bean fillings, just mix them together with sugar and oil, that's it. I was not really satisfied with all my previous angkoos as the skin turned out to be a little tough after few hours sitting at room temperature but not these. I love these angkoos, not only they taste great but they also look beautiful. I just love the purple here, no colouring needed, it all comes from the purple sweet potatoes that were being used here. Many thanks to Sonia for this wonderful recipe, I dont think I need to search for a better recipe.

Just one important thing for us to take note is that making the dough. As each sweet potatoes has a different level of moisture, you may not need to use all the water required here. Just pour in little by little until we get a soft dough. How soft, you may ask me. Well, you see while i was making the dough, i wasnt too sure how soft the dough should be to get the desired texture. Until i get to taste the angkoos, then i know whether i got that right or not. My term of soft dough here would be soft but not pliable...it's just probably 2 steps away from an unmanageable dough and each time when i poured in some water, i stopped my processor and feel the dough. I would say it's quite a challenge for us making angkoos ... making the dough especially. We are not professional angkoo makers so even if you do not get it right the first time, dont be dampened, we just need to go thru some trials.





Recipe: ( taken from Nasi Lemak Lover, with her some reference from Reesekitchen )
For Filling
250gm split mung beans
140gm sugar
3 tbsp corn oil

1. Rinse mung beans several times till water runs clear, soaked in water for 1 hour or more.
2.Discard the water, place the beans on a steaming try and steam over medium flame for 45 minutes.
3. While beans still hot, place beans, sugar and oil in a food processor and process till fine.
4.Shape into 10gm ball. ( i shaped mine into 18gm ball )

For Angkoo Skin/ Sweet Potato Dough
300gm sweet potatoes, cut into pieces
200gm glutinous rice flour
1tbsp rice flour
2 tbsp sugar
3tbsp corn oil
180ml water ( you may not need to use all )

1. Steam the sweet potatoes till soft, about 15 minutes
2. Use a fork or a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes. Transfer that to a food processor. Add in glutinous rice flour, rice flour, sugar, corn oil and slowly add in water to mix till soft dough, keep aside for 30 minutes.
3. Shape into 30gm ball.




To shape and cook Angkoo kueh
1.Grease the angkoo kuih mould by brushing some corn oil or dust with some flour
2.Flatten the sweet potato ball, place the mung bean ball/filling, cover and shape into ball.
3.PLace the ball in the mould, press evenly, knock out and place on a greased banana leaf.
4.Arrange on a steaming tray and steam for 8 mins on high heat, uncover the steamer and let steam for additional 2 minutes.

Sharing this at the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Event hosted by Shaz


53 comments:

  1. Your angkoo looks so soft and beautiful! I have never attempted to make angkoo before, although this has been on my list for quite a while! The colour is simply gorgeous! Great job, Lena! Wish I could have a few pieces for my breakfast now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just remind me i have so long did not make AKK, hehehe..Thanks for the mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, your ang ku kuih looks so pretty and delicious. Love especially color and mung beans filling to peanuts. Courier some over please.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful n so neat ~ a very intriguing recipe for me !
    USMasala

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your angkoo looks so beautiful....I really must make it very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your angkoo looks very nice, lovely purple.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely purple angkoo!! I want to have some, please^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, yes these are beautiful. I can just imagine how good they taste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lena,
    So AngKoo looks so delicious, just love it, good work, by the way I have just made the Kampar Curry Chicken Bread but my packet of curry chicken inside was just too small & not sufficient gravy for the whole bread, do not know how to wrap properly, no kung fu.But the bread was very soft & nice, will try again. TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena....I am the lucky one to get your angkoos...love it and thanks for sharing the recipe with us. Kudos to Reese and Sonia too. The great thing about food blogging is sharing and learning from each other ! I shall try this out when i get the angkoo mold :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best angkoos I ever tasted!! Now i wait for elin's ones.. hope she remembers me when they are ready! :p

    http://reanaclaire.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wah very nice & yummy ang ku kueh Lena! Love the colour! I happened to learn the recipe from Reese herself and it is indeed a fabulous recipe. I tio haven't made this for awhile now...maybe after the moon cakes festival la, heehee. Now preparing to make my 2nd batch of moonies . Have a nice day! 

    ReplyDelete
  13. hoho..i like this AKK, nice purple :)
    wanna try out someday, bookmark this

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty colour! I love ang ku kueh too! Must this one day for sure, thanks for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesSeptember 6, 2011 at 9:08 PM

    My favourite, especially mung bean paste filling. Yours look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look like jewels. Great colour and structure :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, the purple color and the generous filling - your angkoos look so yum! i've never tried sweet potato angkoos, i'm sure yours taste as delicious as they look!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So, mix until the dough can clump together when tightly squeezed? but rather crumbly without any force? like that?

    ReplyDelete
  19. purple ang ku kuih is so pretty and i like that it has luscious filling too :)

    thks for your concern abt my elbow

    ReplyDelete
  20. They are not only look presentable but very healthy too, sweet potatoes are well known for its nutritional facts!^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. love the color and the texture of it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The colour is very bright! Yummy soft texture! Will try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kueh are as nice as I saw from a cook book. They too came with the old-fashioned Chinese character (longevity) moulded on the center.

    ReplyDelete
  24. this has to be the coolest thing I have ever seen. Like something off of Iron Chef. Amazing, the purple color is beautiful and they look so delicious! Go girl

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena I love look amazing! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lena, they look so good, love the combination of purple potato and glutinous rice flour. Beautiful color and textures.
    Hope you are having a great week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. the purple looks amazing! I'm definitely trying this out soon! Might sound silly but split mung beans means beans whose skin is removed is it? if i use normal green beans I'll have to remove their skins?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful purple kueh! Oh..sweet potatoes..where are you!? Can't believe that one can't get sweet potatoes in standard supermarkets here...and not even in farmer market. Darn!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't stop admiring your purple "Ang' Koo Kueh. They are very beautiful. Love the contrast of colour when they are placed on the pieces of banana leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your angkoo kuih so much,especially there are in natural colour!Healthy in another word!I must go to buy a angkoo kuih mould too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I see purple everywhere :) So many purple mooncakes and you have purple angku kueh here. I like it. So beautifully done Lena.

    ReplyDelete
  32. dear everyone, thanks for all of your compliments, i hope some of you here will try out this recipe, it's really a good one!

    @ sonia: thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful recipe..also to Reese!

    @ Faeez: nice to know you, yeah i hope you will attempt it someday!

    @ delphine: oh yes, i'm sure the next time you made the curry chicken bread, it will be very good one..cook more gravy..hehe

    @ elin: thats' my privilege to pass you some. yes, couldnt agree more to whatyou said on blogging!

    @ claire: thanks so much..i'm very sure elin will definately pass you some if she's making these!!

    @ wendy: not crumbly , still a soft dough, just that you cant stretch the dough :)

    @janine: ihope i'm giving you the correct information becos the split mung beans are easily available here..everywhere ..in the grocery stores, supermarket. yes, it is the whole green bean which the skin has been removed but i'm not sure how they actually remove the skin. Try asking from those chinese grocery stores, they should carry this split beans, in chinese we call that ' luk tau pheen'

    @ gert: yes, i'm also seeing purple, yam , sweet potatoes mooncakes in a lot of blogs too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great looking piece of work! Well done, Lena. You just can't stopped to impress me. ((hugs)) They look perfect. I think I'm going to start my mooncake tomorrow. Those lazy worms still crawling! haha...
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow!!! i love ang ku kueh with mung bean filling! and this incorporates purple sweet potato, how clever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ahhhh, little purple Avatar Ang Ku....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Lena,
    Thank you for kind support, I have more gravy but just do not know how to wrap it up properly, Ha!Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love angkoo kueh... but they are so addictive! One is never enough... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  38. hi lena, i have never eaten this kuih before, but now i am just tempted to make one, from your recipe..thanks, i will do the trial and error cooking methods :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lena, you never stop to impress me with everything you do, be it bakes, cooks or making kuehs. I love ang ku and one of my girlfriends is an expert at this. I would love to try yours because I have never eaten ang ku with sweet potato in it.

    ReplyDelete
  40. They look so cute and nice, these ang ku of yours, Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Picture perfect, Lena. Oh how I wish I could try one of those beauties. I have never experienced them before and they look so appetizing.

    I probably will never attempt them myself, but, I was just wondering, is it necessary to have that special mold?

    Thank you so much for sharing...they are just gorgeous and purple is my favorite color:)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Lena, first time I see these in purple, ha ha.
    My wife makes it once awhile but in lipstick red.
    Yours looks really good too.
    Have a great weekend.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  43. hi, thanks again everyone for your lovely words.

    @ quay po: you're too kind..i'm flattered here! i'm sure you can make this!

    @ uncle lee: yeah, the red ones are the common ones..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Made me drool. They look so pretty to eat. Must be very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  45. my first thought was that those things were some kind of jelly or something and then I looked at the other pictures and I do not know, they don't look so yummy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Lena,
    Thought of trying these angkoo kuih, I have plastic angkoo moulds, can I use plastic moulds, you mentioned that the dough be processed in a food processor, can I use the mixer. TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  47. hi delphine, i think it would be a little difficult to use those plastic angkoo moulds, are you referring to the one that is used for making jelly angkoo? it may be a little difficult to dislodge the angkoo out and so the pattern might be distorted. also does this jelly mould comes with a size? the mould i'm using is the 中, so if you mould capacity is small, then you got to adjust the ratio. shouldnt be a problem using the mixer to mix the dough, just add in water little by little and feel the dough.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Lena,
    Ya, I am referring to those plastic mould used for making jelly angkoo, thank you so much for your kind reply, just thought of making so try finding out more info first & will take note of its size. TQ.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Hi lena

    I tried to make it n realise that I Dun have a food processor. My dough turns out to be quite sticky cause I used my hands to mix them. Is all a failure cause is really sticky

    ReplyDelete