Monday, August 8, 2011

Seafood Pasta En Papillote


I first knew about this papillote method of cooking was thru Elin's blog. Since then, Elin has been cooking various dishes en papillote, here, here and here and a few more. I admire Elin's creativity and many great ideas in cooking , be it chinese or western. Not only that, she's also very good in baking cakes, breads, pies..etc. You can take a look at Elin's other blog, Elinluv's Sweet Delights. If you want to be a busybody like me to know what Elin has been up to besides cooking and baking, you can hop over to My Knick Knacks. I've been quietly reading her blog years ago, long way before i started mine and she's also the first blogger that i met in person..of all places..in the market. Ha! i will never forget that. oh, am i supposed to talk about elin or my dish here?
En papillote is a French term means wrapping food in parchment paper or foil and baking it in the oven. You can do it with fish, chicken and pasta too. The paperbag will lock in all the flavours here to produce a tasty dish. Here you can see i'm doing  this with pasta. If you find this way fussy which i do not really think so, you can just toss the seasonings and the seafood with the pasta, it is still very tasty and i do that a lot of times but doing it en papilotte, i believe it further enhances the flavour and taste of the whole dish. Serve the package directly on the table if you like.


Ingredients( serves one)
120gm spaghetti
8 prawns, cleaned and peeled
1 small piece of squid, cleaned and cut into rings
1 small piece of snapper fillet ( i cut 1/2 of my snapper fillet)
1 clove garlic, chopped
7-8 cherry tomatoes/100gm tomatoes, chopped
40ml dry white wine
pinch of salt
some olive oil
some chopped coriander/parsley

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Lightly blanch the squids over boiling water, drain and leave aside. Pour some olive oil in a saucepan and saute the garlic till aromatic. Add in the tomatoes, pour in the wine and let simmer for about 5-6 minutes.
3.Add in the the fish, squids, prawns, parsley, little pinch of salt and cover for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat and leave aside.
4.Cook the spaghetti in a pot as per instructions in the packet. Drain and add to the seafood (3)
5.Cut 2 large pieces of parchment paper. Place the seafood pasta on the center of one piece of the parchment paper, add 2 tbsps of water and cover it with another piece of parchment paper.Fold the edges and seal with bamboo stick. You can also place another piece of aluminium paper beneath the bag. Bake around 15 minutes.

32 comments:

  1. I love the looks of this dish. Cooking in packets aqre such a nice presentation and easy clean up. It looks so fresh and done perfectly. I will now have to check out her knick knack blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always very much inspired by Elin's baking and cooking. This is one of them. Looks so delicious, I think I'm going to cook this soon :)
    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, wow! Your pics like 3D! Holy Smoke! What camera you use? You sure one very creative photographer.

    And your this pasta.....dangerous to bachelors if meet a woman who can make this.....sure marry the cook, ha ha ha.
    Lena....OUTSTANDING!
    Regret I only eat if there's bean sprouts, ha ha.

    Incidentally, re your mention of that uncomfortable situation I almost had to go to Thailand, ha ha....
    if you got nothing better to do, check out my blog, in the beginning.....
    'A faded letter from the past'.

    Took me 2 months to bring back this story.
    This was posted actually long ago in my 1st Blog since deleted due technical reasons, still new with computers and blogs then.
    I saved this but lost all the many comments. Pity.

    There are 9 episodes, took 3 weeks to post all in separate postings.
    It is a story of a beautiful mature lady in love with a man half her age.
    Guess who?
    If you read...do not skip to conclusion.
    Follow the story.
    Let me know if you read.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Use parchment paper to bake spaghetti, how inventive. Your version sure looks alluring!^^

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, so inviting. I'm drooling already.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow..i thought that was served in one of the Ipoh restaurants! how wrong I was.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh la la..can sense the smoke coming out of the pix yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salivating just looking at the pictures ....

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing dish, I love all the delicious ingredients you have put into this recipe, yummy! So neat to bake everything in foil, makes life much easier:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi lena, blogwalk from junia's..
    very pretty white flowers at your header. are they magnolias?
    very interesting ways of cooking pasta too. must try this style.

    decided to follow your blog and revisit for more delicious spread. have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the concept of using the packet to lock in all the flavours of the ingredients - brilliant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena....I am blushing now :) since you wrote something so nice of me :p I shall give you my homemade kimchi...remember I promised you some when I make the new batch. Made some for her and kept a small tupper for you to try out. Please let me know when you can come to my office to collect it :) This is the gift for you for writing so good of me :PPPP
    SMS me okay?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this looks so delicious! Never tried it this way before, looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks a definite dish for us. Bookmarked for when Nigel arrives again Thanks. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Drooling...drooling...drooling....I like seafood pasta very much.Interesting method.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh yum I'm having pasta tmr, having prepped the sauce already but this looks like a pretty good thing for me to try! It looks really really good that I'm salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it looks like the perfect perfect seafood meal. Pasta and seafood combined are my favorite. I love the pictures too- really makes you feel like your eating it! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  18. he he he, love the name, Papillote ...Easy to cook too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicious - love the combination of fish you use - lovely dish :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. I learnt something new 2day, thx for sharing! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a GREAT Idea. I just love it!!!

    Thanks for sharing, Lena...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Y.U.M.M.Y. I love pasta and your dish is making me hungry. Eh...in October, you gotta make something for us, ok? Anything will do :P Pretty please???????

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi lyndsey: you're right, less washing up and i think it will suprise your guests too, thinking what's inside!

    hi anncoo: yeah, we are need inspirations from one another. Try this!

    Lee: i'm using quite an old and easy camera, point and shoot only. btw, i'm already half way reading that story of yours. Let you know once i've finished reading that. Thanks!

    alice: yeah, this is tasty..but not my invention..haha!

    amelia: you quickly go and cook some NOW!

    claire: you think i'm like you ..always eat out??

    bananaman: steam?? where got??

    jeannie: yeah, not really fussy doing this..just another way of cooking pasta.

    Wan: hi, just came back from your blog and will drop by more often. thanks!

    kenny: i think if do that with fish and herbs will be even more flavourful!

    elin: hey, thanks so much! i just tried your kimchi this evening. Very nice and so appetising. Later i will hv to chk out your recipe!

    joyce: give it a try!

    diane: hope everyone will love this way of cooking!

    MKgirl: pasta lover? i also hope one day you will try this method.



    chris: hey, careful of your keyboard! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Lena, make yourself a strong cup of coffee when you reach part 5, 6 and 7. But don't skip, ha ha.
    Let me know.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great! I almost like to "en papillote" a lot of my food! Simple technique that retains moisture, flavors and aroma.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i also bookmarked this when i saw in Elin's blog, but till now have yet to try..hehehe..this sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely pasta dish. Glad to see some classic French culinary techniques employed.

    Look forward to following you here.

    Be well

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is an interesting way of cooking pasta. Easy to cook and easy for clean up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love pasta with seafood and this look just perfect.
    Hope you are having a great week Lena :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi all, read all of your comments, thanks a lot for taking some time here dropping a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pasta en papillote, that's so creative, I would never though of putting pasta that way...

    Thanks for introducing Elin's blog. What a wonderful and relatable blog.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I didn't know that you can do pasta with seafood. I hope that it tastes great because I want to try it out.

    ReplyDelete