Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rolled Spelt and Peach Crisp


Saw Angie making this crisp few weeks back and knew that i would love it, looking at the ingredients she put in. I was right, the juices from the peaches lend a sweet and warm flavour to this crisp and each bite comes with a soft crunch from the crispy flakes, it's delicious! It's not really sweet, just nice and psychologically, i also think it's quite healthy though you still find a little butter there. Would love to make this again, it's ideal  for breakfast too! You can substitute rolled spelt flakes with rolled oats and spelt flour with wholemeal flour if you  have difficulty getting them from your place.


I used 3 large peaches instead of 6 to fit my baking dish 6.5"x5" and a little less of the rest of the ingredients for fillings and made 3/4 of the original recipe for the topping.

Original Recipe ( taken from Angie's Recipes )
Fillings:
6 large ripe peaches, pitted and cut into chunks
1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
2 tbsp wholegrain spelt flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping:
80gm rolled spelt flakes
40gm almond slices ( i just throw in a small handful with just what i left )
30gm wholegrain spelt flour
50gm brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon sugar
1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
pinch of salt
80gm unsalted butter, softened

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 190C/375F. Lightly butter a rectangular dish , about 10"x6"/25cmx15cm. Toss the peaches with lemon juice, zest, vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of wholegrain spelt flour. Spread peaches in the prepared baking dish.
2.Stir together rolled spelt, almond slices, flour, sugar, spices and salt in a bowl and then work in butter with a pastry blender or your fingertips until mixture forms small clumps.Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over fruit.
3.Bake in middle of oven until topping is golden and peaches are tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Cool slightly and serve warm, dust with icing sugar if desired.

34 comments:

  1. wow.. what a delightful delight..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this looks nice, I love the 1st photo.....very inviting ..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew I had to get some stone fruits....and this recipe is exactly one of those reason. :))) fruit crisp will be such a delightful breakfast or a gorgeous desert by just topped with vanilla ice cream.....drool....:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi lena, Thank you for stopping by my blog and you lovely comment :) You have an awesome blog too and I hope you will inspire me by joining my blog too :) cheers, priya

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a really lovely crisp.It sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never notice there's wholegrain spelt flour selling around my place here...and this flour is actually quite new to me too. just Google to find out more infor about this flour...hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH this looks amazing!! With a side of vanilla ice cream we are GOOD TO GO!


    We just started following your blog! Cannot wait for more yummy treats!

    Love,

    http://www.chickswholovetoeat.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, this looks wonderful. I would really like this for breakfast. Nice way to use the rolled spelt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, you just gave this brilliant idea on how to use up my small amount of leftover spelt flour...This recipe is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how do you manage to make it look so crispy-crumbly yet juicy at the same time?

    I want a slice for my teatime today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks very delicious from the photos. Pardon my for my suaku-ness - what is rolled spelt flakes? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, I am so glad that you like the rolled spelt. Yours looks terrific!
    Thank you for the shout-out ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena...yea , this would be great for breakfast and dessert item. Have KIV this and shall make this when I have peaches around :) Angie has the most delicious recipes on her blog and I love her salads too :) This is indeed healthy with those rolled oats and peaches :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks good......I love sweet stuff...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very healthy and very delicious. I need a bog slice for my breakfast....drooling! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. There many stone fruits in the market recently and would love to try this lovely recipe :) Looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would like to try a bit on these peach crisp, it looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi all, thanks! i'm reading all of your comments.

    @beebee: that will be such a wonderful treat to go with ice cream!

    @priya: thanks for coming back. More visitng to your blog soon

    sherleen: i got mine from organic shop.

    amy & Tiffany: hi, nice to know you. Will be hopping ver to your blog after this. Thanks!

    kenny: yeah, i have already fedex-ed it to you this afternoon to lifeforbeginners@wordpress.com. If you do not receive it, pls call their hotline.

    christine: spelt flakes is a kind of grain , i find it with a little nutty flavour. They can be used to cook as cereals or in breads just like rolled oats.

    angie: thanks so much for sharing, i like it, they are delicious!

    elin: yes, i love angie's salads, so much variety and combination!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Lena, I've never seen nor heard nor eaten this, but looks good.
    Holy Smoke! I bet your cookbook, cake book, memory of recipes goes back a long ways, huh?
    Good for you. Nothing like a mother, wife who have this talents.
    Best regards.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for coming back to my blog, even thought I have been overwhelmed with work.

    Yeah, I remembered that recipe from Angie, that was on my to-do list. Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOw! I love the look of this dish, I have seen it in Angie's blog but have not made it due to the fact that I do not have spelt flour and rolled spelts...now I can try with rolled oats as you suggested.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks, Lena. It looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! I can almost smell the wonderful spices in it! Looks really good! I have not seen rolled spelt flakes here before, maybe did not notice them in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I like any type of crumble... top up with vanilla ice-cream...
    yummm :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, really? Rolled spelt. It sounds and looks amazing and so crispy but at the same time perfectly chewy! Delicious! I tagged you in my 7 link challenge on wed so check it out

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks delicious, Lena. Halving the recipe was a GREAT idea...I can do that!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  27. hi lena, sound manageable to prepare and delicious to eat- a crunchy breakfast treat.. love it, must try. have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lena, another new term learned today "Rolled spelt". I will make this and served it to my Quay Lo and to to him, "How about Rolled spelt Honey?" I wonder what will his response be. hehe Your Rolled Spelt sure look crispy and I believe the taste will smack my lips.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena, I can't believe you made me want to eat SPELT! This looks so tasty and delicious that I would love to have a bowl of it and coffee please.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lena, I am back to let you know that you are being tagged to play the 7 link challeng:D

    ReplyDelete
  31. Everything crisped taste better. I don't know why there aren't many recipe like this one.

    ReplyDelete