Sunday, August 21, 2011

Flaky Egg Tarts (酥皮旦挞)


I believe many of us love eating egg tarts. Me a lot.. both flaky and pastry type. Have been wanted to make these flaky types of egg tarts  the longest time but just didnt do it, fearing the rolling and the folding techniques of making the pastry and a little time consuming. I picked up a little courage 2 weeks ago to bake my first batch of flaky egg tarts, they were nice but the pastry were a bit too thick. So i made another batch last week, i think they looked better but still needs a lot of improvement and practice in terms of rolling the pastry and shaping the tarts. Infact to me i think shaping and lining the tarts are quite a bit of challenge to me. I have to make sure that i press a little firm on the bottom part of the tarts so they sit nicely on the tart cases but at the same time ,do not press too hard on the lining and the sides of the tarts otherwise the flaky layers cannot be seen. What you're seeing now is my 2nd batch of egg tarts which i baked last week. This recipe comes from Agnes Chang and the thing i like about this recipe is that it doesnt require us to put the dough in the fridge after each rolling and folding steps, this saves a lot of time and i also find this dough is not difficult to work that we think the butter is going to melt and put it back into the fridge. I'm putting in some photos on folding the dough, just to let you have an idea how does it look like..sorry i'm not good at showing the step by step photos, normally i dont take pictures in the kitchen, fingers messy shooting and working at the same time but i thought this might be a little useful to some of you. I am submitting this to the Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy As Pie ( August 2011) hosted by Janine of Not The Kitchen Sink!


Recipe ( taken from Agnes Chang Dim Sum Series 2 ) makes 25 mini tarts
Water Dough
230 high protein flour, sifted
10gm custard powder, sifted
100 margarine/butter
4 tbsp castor sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
4-5 tbsp water

Oil Dough
150g plain flour, sifted
100gm shortening

Filling:
240ml boiling water
120gm castor sugar
3 eggs ( size A)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp vinegar ( helps to set the filling)


Method:
Filling: Add the castor sugar to the boiling water, stir to dissolve the sugar and leave aside to cool.

Water dough:  mix flour and custard powder together and rub in butter/margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add in the sugar, mix well and put in the egg and 4 tbsps of water, mix all with hand until it forms into a dough. Knead the dough by hand, will take several minutes to knead until it becomes a smooth dough.( i used food processor to make this dough, add in all the ingredients except egg and water, put on pulse to achieve breadcrumbs alike consistency, add in the egg and water and pulse again until it forms a pliable and smooth dough.). Leave the dough aside or put in the fridge.

Oil dough: Mix the flour and the shortening until it comes together. ( it's a little tough to form into a dough, just keep gathering the flour and rub in shortening till it forms a rough dough ). Let dough rest for 10 minutes.


Preparing the pastry
pic 1: water dough ( yellow dough) and oil dough
pic 2: Flatten water dough. Place oil dough in the center of water dough and wrap oil dough in water dough as shown in pic 3.
pic 3: Oil dough wrapped in water dough.
pic 4: Roll the dough flat into a rectangle shape.
pic 5: Fold one end of the dough up to 2/3 of the dough.
pic 6: Fold the other end of the dough ( remaining 1/3 )on top of the folded dough.
pic 7: from the side, the dough will look like this.
pic 8: Turn the dough 90 degree .
pic 9: Flatten the dough once again and roll into a rectangle shape. Repeat these steps ( pic 5- pic8 ) 2 times more.

a) Put the dough in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, you can make the fillings. After the sugar solution has cooled down, add in the eggs, vanilla essence and vinegar . Stir to combine well and sieve the fillings. Discard remaining egg whites left on the strainer. Leave it aside.


b) after 30 minutes, take the pastry out from the fridge, if you find it a little hard, you can thaw it for 10 minutes before shaping the tarts. Roll the pastry out to a big dough with a thickness of 0.3cm. Use a round cutter ( slightly bigger than your tart ) to cut the dough out. Place the dough onto the tart case, pressing the bottom and gently pressing the sides of the tart. Repeat until you finish lining all the tarts. Preheat the oven at 200C

c) Pour the filling about 70% full and bake for 25-30 minutes. Pls check the appropriate temp for your oven, it's really hard to advise. I baked mine at 200c for about 25minutes.



For those of you who are interested in flaky egg tarts, you might also like to check out Shirley@kokken 69 her version of flaky egg tarts. She made some couple of weeks back.

64 comments:

  1. You did it! it's such a challenge but oh so worth it when biting into the pastry and silky egg custard for sure! They looks sooo good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have a couple for my breakfast tomorrow! Your flaky dough turns out great. My daughter has been asking me to make some egg tarts for sooo long, and have not even tried it yet! Perhaps it is time I do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, I love how your egg tarts look!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look delicious will give them a try. Thanks Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your egg tarts looks so nice in golden color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see the egg tarts are very smooth and looks so nice in the colour. Save one for me please :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wah the tart shell looks so flakey!! especially the bottom part!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, I totally agree with you that lining the dough to tart shells could be challenging too (so strange that no one complaint abt it :):). In Hongkong I remember the tarts from bakery stores came out all different thickness (some really very thick). Most importantly, yours are just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one looks so yummy and easy to make...can't wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The custard looks so smooth and silky!! I love to have one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these look amazing. I really, really want one now! I've only ever tried making Portuguese tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What tiny treasures. These really look delicious. I know I would love them. I find lemon desserts irresistible. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh look so flaky good!! Seems like it has that melt in your mouth effect.....must try! Thanks for the pictorial steps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow.. for the last two days, I have been buying egg tarts for my girl.. one from kg simee and one from old town... but i bet your homemade ones are nicer! :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. The filling look soooo smooth and the pastry looks very delicate - must handle-with-care! Looks yummy

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flakiest, most scrumptious little hearts of gold! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is sure a lot of work, great job Lena! they look so yummy & flaky. i'd whack 2 or 3 pieces at one go! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I shall try this recipe one of this day, it looks really good!^^

    ReplyDelete
  19. It may look thick, simply because it's PUFFY and FLUFFY!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. These mini tarts are definitely big in taste from the look of it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lena...me drooling over your tarts !!! Did you some for me or all in your stomach already digested ??? :p I find making these tarts intimidating too...but I shall try this out one day...now too lazy to do washing and stuff :) Think of the washing....I will think of one bowl type of stuff :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow, delicious flaky egg tarts. yum yum

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very flaky and tempting! o my ..look at the oozy filling!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i also thinking to make this flaky egg tarts long time ago, look at yours, inspired me to make this very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I baked this before but failed. Yours tarts look very flacky and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Could they look any cuter? Just wondering because sometimes it is so hard to eat something that looks that cute. although I always end up scarfing them down regardless! Great and simple yet elegant recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, so lovely! I made egg tarts recently also but mine is pastry type. I would like to try yours too, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks a lot! Those dainty-looking egg tarts are my favourite. They are all mine now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks perfect - flaky crust and soft wobbly egg custard. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Egg tarts are what inspired me to start blogging as I was able to recreate my childhood dessert. Your recipe is very different from mine...

    For your comment about my trip to UK, I actually lost weight even though I was savoring as much as possible British food. It might be due to all those walking from visiting town to town.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I completely agree with you when it comes to baking flaky tarts! it's quite intimidating. But u seemed to have handled it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, you did a GREAT job! I've never heard of egg tarts before but they sound fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I definitely prefer the flaky type too! I can eat more...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  34. i bet these taste better that Foh San's ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great attempt! You should feel pround of yourself :) I want to make these again... with Char Siew Soh...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lena, you are a genius making these egg tarts. These pastry are very flaky and looks very professional made.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lena, the crust looks super stunning! I am bookmarking it for later use. Thanks so much for sharing such wonderful recipe.
    Heop you're enjoying your day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  38. I think you did a great job. Mmmm...yummy-licious. I don't think I have the skill to make this yet;-).

    ReplyDelete
  39. this looks so exquisite and beautiful! what is high protein flour?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Hi Lena, Wow! 1...2...3...4..5..6..7, maybe 8....okay I think I should be able to polish off clean 8 pieces.
    I just adore them!
    I love the colours, and again, your photography skills like looking at those food mags.
    Like 3D.....especially that 2nd last pic.....a small kid might grab a spoon and poke the pc screen, ha ha ha.

    Psssst, mind I cop the 1st pic? Owe you teh tarek lambong tiggi! How many I owe you now? ha ha ha.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I LOVE CUSTARD!!! Yummy! I think you dod a GREAT job! I love the play by play you did! I am SO not a baker but I like the way you did this with the pictures! Gives me an idea on what I should be looking for and how it it is supposed to look like in each step!

    ReplyDelete
  42. hi everybody, thanks again for all the lovely and encouraging words!!

    gattina: yes, so true and never thought that lining the tart is the most difficult part..!

    barb: one day you must try the ones from the kg simee market, ' choy kee' , i like them best!

    victor: yeah, i've seen your version before. Nice job! you lost weight? i thought you've been eating non stop during your vacation! ha! now you dont have to worry, you can go back to your normal schedule!

    hi pam: really nice to see you here!

    shirley: looking forward to your making of cha siew soh, i'm really interested to see that!!

    junia: high protein flour can also be called high gluten flour. we also call them bread flour here.

    lee: i lost count how many teh tarik you owe me. can all these be exchanged for a southern comfort, err..crushed ice..2 fingers lemonade, haha!

    amy&tiff: thanks, hope this will ne useful for you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  43. These tarts tastes awesome with coffee! did you know it?

    ReplyDelete
  44. The last time I tasted egg tarts was when I purchased a box at a mall in Tampines. I miss them terribly! Thanks for sharing the recipe though. This is one of the things I want to cook for 2012 :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh yumms. Love egg tarts especially when they are fresh out of the oven. The mini ones are nice coz I can pop one whole tart not my mouth and enjoy the moments of the tart dissolving in my mouth:D

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wanted to know what is the size of your tart mould also size of your cookie cutter Cutter..

    Tx.. Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  47. hi mandy, the size of my tart mould is 6cm in diameter and the cutter which is also a tart mould is 7cm in diameter.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Lena,

    Finally i have tried your recipie and i would like to say thank you!! coz the method of doing the dough is really much easier than others (which i have tried 3 times n fail)..

    The only mistakes i made was i fiilled the tarts 80% and causes the egg filling poured out while baking the tarts..

    I will correct the mistake the next round i try the egg tarts again.. :)

    Btw, is it normal that the dough will strink after i press the dough into the mould?? its actually strink a bit...

    Thanks again..

    Mandy.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. hi mandy, as far as i can remember, it didnt shrink :)

    ReplyDelete
  50. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  51. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  52. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  53. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  55. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  56. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  57. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  58. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  59. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  60. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  61. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  62. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  63. Hi Lena,
    Chanced upon your blog and this recipe is indeed marvelous. Thanks for sharing.
    I would like to check with you on the water quantity. In your ingredients list, you mentioned 4 tbsps but in the method, you indicated 4 tsps, which is the right quantity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry, it is 4 tbsp. have amended the above recipe. Thx.

      Delete