Monday, August 29, 2011

Bake Along #8 - Nectarine Cake with Cinnamon-Nut Topping


This is another recipe taken from the book Cake Keeper by Lauren Chattman. Quite a nice one to add to your collection as the cakes in this book are sort of everyday cakes and simple to make with mostly basic ingredients. This is the 3rd recipe taken from this book for our bake along and i foresee there will be more coming from this book. You can use other stone fruits like peaches, plums or apricots in replacement of nectarines. Let us also see Joyce and Zoe making the same cake at their blogs.

We will be baking Sweet Potato Sandwich Rolls next for our bake along . If you are keen to join,  post it up on the 10th September.

I would also like to take this opportunity to wish  Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri to all Muslim friends, have a wonderful celebration and to all Malaysians,  Happy Merdeka!!



Recipe: ( i made half of this original recipe )
For the cake:
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 medium ripe nectarines, halved, pitted and peeled

For the topping:
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup walnuts or pecan, finely chopped

Make the topping
1.Preheat the oven to 375F/190C. Grease the inside of a 10inch round springform pan.
2.Combine the sugar, cinnamon and the nuts in a small bowl. Set aside.

Make the cake
1.Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
2.Combine the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl and cream with an electric mixer on medium high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice as necessary. With the mixer on low, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time. scarping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3.Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Arrange the nectarines, cut side down, on top of the batter. Sprinkle with the topping. Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 55 minutes. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 mins. Release the sides of the pan and use a large spatula to slide the cake from the pan bottom to a wire rack. Cool completely, cut into wedges and serve.
4.Store uneaten cake in cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days.

33 comments:

  1. Delicious cake especially the cinnamon topping. I just drool at Zoe's site and I'm now drooling at yours. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, This sure is a delicious cake! And yes, I can see more coming from this book! Happy Holidays, I'm off for a few days, balik kampung!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for highlighting my typo error...I must "nuts" thinking about this nectarine cake too much. I can see the difference in your cake using 1 tbsp of sugar topping and the cake surface is not as gooey as mine. Interesting to know the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. homey & rustic, this is the sort of easy baking i dig. your cake looks yummy Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish the Starbucks or Coffeebean will sell this in their outlets!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would like to try this, the topping sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great for tea break :) with a cup of apple tea :) I love cakes with fresh fruits :) yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful cake - love the cinnamon toppings. yum, yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. cinnamon and nuts! Oh i will like this very much! It's doesn't look to difficult to put together as well which is a bonus isn't it? How I wish I can come over for a cup of coffee and cake now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena, this cake looks great. Think it'll taste fabulous with the nectarines, never tried baking with this fruit before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM, it reminds me of apple crumble!(one of my favourite pastry)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought I was the only one obsessed with nectarines. I eat them ever day with nutella or pb. I love them to pieces but never thought to make a cake with this fruit. I love this idea and since I have like a whole pound of nectarines in the pantry I am going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love any cakes with cinnamon, I think will love this too, will put this in my to-do list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the crunchy look of this cake, fabulous! and Happy Merdeka to you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh can't wait for nectarine in season here. Nectarine plants are having buds and will soon show their spectacular bloom here in Adelaide. Yum Yum cake :).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lena, you sure one very creative lady, and your masterpieces here one for the books.
    And now further enhanced by your very good, creative photography too.

    The 3rd pic like 3D coming out of my monitor, ha ha.....
    Holy Smoke! You are good, Lena....its so clear and vivid....can practically get the cinnamon scent.
    But this first time see this nectarine cake.
    I sure would love to dip a spoon in the slice facing me, ha ha.
    Outstanding, Lena.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, good afternoon & selamat hari raya! haha.... I am enjoying such a relaxing holiday at home all by myself with my daughter. So syok! Skip the cooking. haha.... But I hope I can spend some tidm in baking. Your cake looks really tempting.lol.
    Happy holiday!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Selamat Hari Raya Lena! Hope your holiday was fun! Your cake looks gooooooood! I love the extra crunch topping over the cake...yum! Your nectarines seems a bit shy though, hiding underneath, heehee. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. epecially love the generous amount of golden brown crumble toppings...usually find most recipes have too little of them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This cake looks super delicious, reminds me of streusel cake which I often have here in Germany :)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your nectarine cake looks amazing and sounds super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am not a sweets eater and I would love this. Flawless cake.

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lena, your cake looks delicious, so pretty and summery with nectarines...love the texture of this cake.
    Hope you are having a fantastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello:

    This recipe was very delicious-looking. I like it. I really enjoyed.

    A kiss.

    Nita

    ReplyDelete
  25. hi lena, the sliced nectarine cake looks so delicious, i think i can eat 2 slices for tea :) especially with a taste of cinnamon added.
    happy merdeka day to you too and thanks for the hari raya wish. take care

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesSeptember 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM

    Looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a pretty and tempting late summer cake!
    Happy Merdeka!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. delicious cake but if you have the gluten free version it would be so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I was looking for nectarine recipe & guess what I found ...this recipe of yours! Looks so tempting , I'm trying this recipe tomorrow with the nectarine that I've harvested today. YUM! can't wait! Have a nice week, Lena! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've just popped over from Kit's blog. This cake looks delicious and anything other than plain. The cinnamon nut topping transforms it and I must try this with apples that are now in season here in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site so i came to “return the favor”.

    I'm attempting to find things to enhance my site!I suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!
    Take a look at my web site :: senseo pas cher

    ReplyDelete