Friday, July 1, 2011

Simple Orange Cake

hi, i made this cake actually quite some time back and i dont know why i never posted it up. This is supposed to be a easy moist lemon cake but i replaced that with oranges and if you ask me, is it really moist? it is an 'okay' cake..average. It's simple and quick, just dump everything together into your mixing bowl and mix till well incorporated and that's it. I also made some orange frosting to go along with this cake, so if you find that the cake has lost its moisture after putting in the fridge, eating that with a little frosting will be a little better, ha! I halved the original recipe but i forgot what was the size of the pan i used..if i remember it correctly, it should be 8" square pan, i apologise for that because i didnt make any notes but i remember this is quite a short cake  ( the original recipe uses a 9" square pan) .



Original Recipe ( from Cakes by Rachel lane/Carla Bardi)
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups ( 225gm) all purpose flour
3/4 cup ( 150gm) sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup ( 125 gm) butter, softened
1/3 cup ( 90ml) milk
1 tsbp finely grated orange zest
11/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Orange frosting
11/2 cups ( 225gm) icing sugar
2 tbsps butter ( or more until desired consistency)
2 tbsps freshly squeezed orange juice
2 tbsps shredded( dessicated) coconut ( i omitted this)

1. Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Lightly grease a 9" square pan.
2.To prepare the cake, beat the flour, sugar, eggs, butter, milk, orange zest, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer at low speed until well blended. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until pale and thick, about 3-4 minutes. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
3.Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool the cake completely in the pan on a rack. ( my batter is quite little in a 8 " pan due to half the recipe, so i baked for about 25-30 minutes in my oven at 160C)
4. To prepare the frosting, beat the icing sugar and butter in a medium bowl. Beat in enough orange juice to make a spreadable frosting. Spread the cake with the frosting and sprinkle with coconut.

35 comments:

  1. Beautiful cake, must be very fragrant with orange aroma. Have a nice weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely cake. I like the frosting on top. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely cake Lena ! You are such a good baker. Next time no nid to put in the fridge..send some over to my office. Claire and I will welcome them with open mouth :p

    Seriously, your cake looks great. Must be very refreshing with the orange frosting ...mmmmm drools drools :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Lena! I for one am delighted you rescued this gorgeous cake and pictures. It looks heavenly!!!

    Thanks for sharing...

    P.S. So sorry for not being by. The Picnic Game is going up tonight and I should be back to my regular visits next week. Drop by for the round-up if you get a chance. The basket is full!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first cake I ever learnt, and it was in school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this look so lovely! i like the piping on top. makes it so pretty! orange cake must hae tasted refreshing (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. simple and beautiful cake - yum, yum ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes simple is just what we need. I think I won't mind whipping this up in a lazy afternoon and nice touch with the icing.  yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love citrus bakes! the aroma is something i wish to smell in my kitchen always the texture looks so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CP, did you visit my blog or not????

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the taste of orange so I am sure I would love this. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will the 8" or 9" square pan make any difference of course other than the size which is obviously bigger? haha. Nice pixz looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, this is not simple, it's gorgeous, looks nice with the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love any cake that with orange taste plus the frosting! yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love orange flavoured cakes. Especially if paired with chocolate. Heehee. Have a great weekend Lena 

    ReplyDelete
  16. What charming pictures of delicious looking orange cakes! My kind of hearty cake with just enough icing. I'm sure I can manage 2 with a cup of tea. Simply irresistible! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know a lot of folks who don’t eat eggs (they’re allergic, for health reasons, or concerns about animal cruelty). Here’s an awesome site that gives tips on cooking and baking without eggs: http://EggFreeLiving.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was expecting a plain orange cake when I saw your title but your cake doesn't look simple at all - it's really pretty with the citrus peels and lovely piped frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm so good! My friend has been raving about an orange cake for a year now and says I HAVE to make it. I'll be interested to see if it's a similar recipe :) This looks SO good!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hrm, it's indeed easy and most important it looks great! Wow, you really good at plating!^^

    ReplyDelete
  21. How pretty...! You're such a great baker, Lena :)!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your cake looks so pretty and delicious! I love the smell of oranges, would be lovely with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty slice of cake, looks yummy with frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I always like citrusy cakes. I love the little touch of frosting on top of the cake. Perfect with a cup of tea :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena, wow! You've done it again!
    It looks sinfully delicious! Love that topping too.
    And that cream, it sure tempts one to dip a finger in it first, ha ha.
    This is a sure 4 pieces request to eat.....
    Lena, you're outstanding!
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely cake. I love orange flavored desserts so I know I'd love this one. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love cake with citrus flavor and I bet this orange cake must be very delicious. Love how you decorated the cake - very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can imagine the orange fragrant emitting from your oven when you were baking this cake, looks really delicious and I like the frosting too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. looks really inviting..love the frosting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. really? Only a ok? it looks sooo good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. dear everyone, thank you for all your comments and put a smile on my face reading every one of them!

    louise: yeah sure i will drop by to have a look at the round up!

    wendy: yeah, i think butter cake is the most common cake that we first learnt.

    bananaman: yes, the 8" will make this cake looks short, just in case if any of the readers want to try that..they can expect this..

    cheah: it's simple lah, you read the recipe and you know how simple this is..!

    john: thanks for the info and the link you provided.

    daphne: yes, 'okay' cake..:)

    Hoong2: i know..i know..your poached egg!

    ReplyDelete
  32. The recipe look really easy to me. Good that the cake looks delicious too. It's always handy with easy recipes like these when there is any last min bakes needed.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous cake ~ summery n so delightful! I adore citrus flavor in baking :)
    US Masala is hosting a giveaway. Do check it out here

    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lena, this orange cake is impressive. This recipe is a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete