Monday, July 18, 2011

Bake Along # 5 - Whole Wheat Carrot Cake


Now this recipe has incorporated some whole wheat/wholemeal flour in it. Not much, around 1/4 of the total flour mixture. I think many who eat this cake cant really tell that it made up of some wholemeal flour , only the person who bakes this will know. But the texture is fabulous, it's very  moist and not that sticky. It taste really good. One thing i get confused sometimes is the conversion of cups to grams in recipes, i do not know if you all have the same problem. When i checked for a cup of all purpose flour, some sites say that it's 125gms, some say 140gms and for sifted it's 115gm. Anyone can enlighten me on this? I used unbleached cake flour and sifted out 115gms. I have also reduced the sugar amount here from the original recipe but  i shouldnt have reduced that, i prefer it to be sweeter actually. But if you are sweet conscious, then i think you can stick to the amount i used here. Don't forget to take a look at my bake along buddies, Joyce and Zoe of the same carrot cakes.



Recipe ( from Cake Keeper by Laura Chattman)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup ( 1 stick) /113gms unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup / 218gm firmly packed light brown sugar ( reduced to 150gms)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 cup /125 unbleached all purpose flour ( sifted 115gms)
1/3cup/43gms  wholewheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( i replaced that with pistachios)
1/2 cup dark raisins ( omitted )
2 cups (about 3-4 medium carrots) , peeled and grated

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350F/177C. Coat the inside of an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray and dust with flour, knocking out any extra.
2.Whisk together the butter and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the eggs and then the milk. Stir in the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon and salt until combined. Stir in the nuts, raisins and carrots
3.Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.Bake the cake until it is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Let the cake cool cool in the pan for about 15 minutes. Invert it onto a wire rack and then turn it right side up on a rack to cool completely. Cut into 9 squares and serve.
4.Store uneaten squares in a cake keeper or wrap in plastic and store at room temperature for up to 2 days

Next we will be baking the Catalan Salt Pinch Cake from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. Do feel free to join if you have the book and post it up on the July 28th.

31 comments:

  1. I actually hate baking with cups.
    It's not accurate. I usually stick to 110gm for superfine flour, and 125gm for all purpose. But then, I might still alter it by looking at the recipe itself. For American cakes, it's fine. Asian cakes or sponges will not work as they are flour content sensitive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the difference in weight is due to difference in cup volume. My standard cup volume is 250ml and 1 cup of plain flour to me is 150g. I prefer to convert and weigh my ingredient if possible. I didn't reduce the sugar content of this cake and didn't find my cake being too sweet. I think it is just right for me. I see that you have substitute the walnuts with pistachio and wonder if it will add some saltiness into this cake. Overall, I would thumb up for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, yup the cup measurement can be really confusing! I based on 125gm for flour and 200gm for caster sugar. Sometimes I measured in cups as per the recipes (to avoid guessing!) and there are times I convert to metric!
    This cake is good even though it is too sweet for me. A great bake! Hoping over to Zoe's now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it comes to baking cakes, I also tend to use less sugar, so doing perhaps make myself feel less guilty to eat more : ).
    I like moist cake like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Healthy cake - looks very fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not made carrot cake for ages, thanks for the reminder. I have never had a problem using a recipe measuring in cups!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious Lena, another recipe bookmarked lol! It's getting longer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a healthy carrot cake :) Yours looks great ....drooling and now I am hungry...tea time now :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am singing John Lennon song .. Imagine.. Imagine all the people... eating Lena's carrot cake...

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cake looks so moist and it's healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I have the same problem everytime too. :P But I always tell myself, a little less flour rather then more then its required is better, else it just turn out dry doesn't it? As for the sugar, I usually lessen it anyway. :)) This whole wheat carrot cake looks really moist indeed, shall make it for my parents next them since they are pretty health conscious, heehee. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really is a healthy cake. Lots of carrots with wholemeal flour. Receipe taken. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love carrot cake! Actually I'm having problem with converting from cups into grams because I always get different conversion when I google online. Erm, actually how much is 2 cups of carrots by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lean, I love the color of your healthy carrot cake and looks so moist and flavorful.. yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cake looks moist, but not greasy like usual carrot cake...light in texture. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i know how frustrating it gets when different sources give diff weights for a cup of flour. I stick to 125 grams a cup and so far it has been working well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks amazing!!!

    This is my first time on your blog, I love it. I am following you to keep up with your fantastic posts. I REALLY like the Tomato, Basil and cheese loaf and may be making that soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love carrot cake, and I think using a wholewheat flour would match the carrot texture perfectly. Love the colour of your cake by the way! It's so golden looking.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like how you made it healthier- I often find that carrot cakes are healthier as most recipes call for oil, plus heaps of veges!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The best thing I like about the carrot cake is the moistness... and yours look exactly that..moist!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh, this I like! % pieces with iced coffee will do me fine, ha ha.
    Lena, I've mentioned before, will say again, you sure take good photographs....your pics like 3D.
    Almost falling out of your blog.

    Your cake looks just nice, not too dry, but looking at it, slightly moist, melt in the mouth kind.....
    You used butter, not margarine, huh? Ha ha.
    Just kidding.
    Lena, you are good! One of the best carrot cakes I've seen.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'll stick to 120-125gm! But for ATTA flour I used lesser. For others maybe they don't recognized whole wheat flour but I am a super fan of whole wheat flour. ha... I love the weird flavour alot.
    Thanks for sharing another wonderful treat.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  23. my word could this cake look even moister and delicious. Seriously it looks incredible. I bet it just falls to pieces in your mouth and is so perfectly sweet! Oh my I need a piece right now

    ReplyDelete
  24. thanks everybody for the comments and feedback regarding the metric conversion. It gives me a better idea how i should deal with that in future!

    zoe: the pistachios didnt add saltiness to the cake, i ate some of the nuts, infact they are not salty at all!

    joyce: yeah, i remember you said that it's too sweet for you, that's why i reduced the sugar amount. ha!

    claire: we shall go karaoke one day!

    min: i used about 3 medium carrots here.

    slowroasted italian: thanks for coming by, just visited your site and wish to learn more cooking from you !

    kristy: have been wanting to try atta flour for some time..i shall see..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your carrot cake looks delicious, light, fluffy and moist.
    Hope you are having a fantastic week Lena :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. kek yang sesuai untuk diet:).Cm baru beli 1 kg karot dari pasar untuk buat jus.Nanti boleh guna separuh untuk masak kek karot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This cake is healthy with wholemeal flour, must try. Made carrot walnut cake before but not with wholemeal flour.I never like cup measurements so I always convert to either grams or ounces. My preference is ounces as I belong to the old school. 1 cup of flour is 4 ounces and after conversion is 113.4 grams so your 115 gm is fine. I always prefer to weigh all my ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whole wheat carrot cake, how interesting! I nvr hv any carrot cake since it's not cheap, mayb I can try to bake some my own, thx for sharing!^^

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love how healthy this sounds! It looks like you did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Na dzień dzisiejszy biura księgowe nie muszą upominać się na małą liczbę zainteresowanych.
    Zgłaszają się do nich głównie przedsiębiorcy, którzy założyli małe działalności gospodarczej.
    Takich przedsiębiorców jest teraz na rynku gospodarczym naprawdę
    dużo. Zarządzając oraz obsługując na własną rękę
    działalność, nie można o wszystko zadbać osobiście.
    Z tego względu korzystają oni z propozycji zaoferowanych na rynku, jakie stają się się naprawdę dobrym rozwiązaniem.

    Pewną z branży, która zajmuje się obsługą takiej działalności jest konkretnie rachunkowość oferująca propozycje
    księgowe, jaka musi czuwać na zgodnością rachunków w
    każdej działalności.
    Also visit my web site : Extor opinie

    ReplyDelete