Monday, May 16, 2011

Salted Fish Curry

This is another type of curry dish which i enjoy eating a lot. It may be a combination of chinese and malay style type of curry but that's not important . Salted fish may smell stinky to some..to me, yaa.. stinky in a way and yet tasty. I could just smell it from my house whenever my neighbour cooks salted fish and i just feel like going over to her house, knock on her door  and ask, 'can i join you for dinner?' If you dont mind your house smells of salty fish after that, then you can try this. Oh, also remember to change your clothes or take a shower after cooking this, you do not want your partner or your spouse to see that there's a live salted fish walking around in the house!

Ingredients:

200gm salted fish head ( with bones, chopped into pieces)
oil for frying

Pounded ingredients
3 red chillies
10 dried chillies( soaked)
10 shallots
2 cloves garlic
1tbsp coriander seeds( biji ketumbar)
1 small piece of turmeric( slightly less thn thumb size)
1 piece of belacan
1 stalk lemongrass( white parts)

1/2 tbsp mustard seeds(biji sawi)
1 spoonful of fish curry powder
1 eggplant( cut into pieces)
a bunch of long beans( cut into 4cm length)
some cabbage ( amount as you wish)
8 pieces of tofu pok ( puffed tofu, each cut into 2)
150ml-200ml of coconut milk
400-500ml water
salt and sugar to taste

Method:
1. Shallow fry the salted fish pieces till lightly brown and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
2. Using the same oil, fry the mustard seeds until slightly pop.Set aside.Saute the pounded ingredients until fragrant, add in the salted fish and stir fry for several minutes. Add in the fried mustard seeds and curry powder, eggplant, cabbage and long beans. You can add in some water if it's dry. Stir fry 1-2 minutes
3.Pour in the water now and let it simmer for several minutes. Add in the coconut milk and the tofu , season with salt and sugar and taste. Cover and let simmer for another 20 minutes or until long beans get soft.


This tastes even better the next day and gets a little more saltier. You may add in more water when reheating it.
















I am sharing this dish in the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday event hosted by Shaz ( test with a skewer)
Also Gertrude of My Kitchen Snippets is having a little giveaway at her blog. See if you could be the lucky one to own those lovely aprons. Dateline for this giveaway will be on May17th 2011. Please visit her blog for more details.

26 comments:

  1. If you are my neighbour, I would knock on your door! Love salted fish! In anything! More rice, please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freeze it and courier some to me, pls. Slurp ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I've heard of salted fish being used in a curry... and I like the sound of it since I love both ingredients! Hooray! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena...send some over please...salivating now just looking at the screen. You are a teaser alright...hmmmm a live salted fish walking around the house LOL! you will surely drive the other half away :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think i may have take 2 bowls of rice for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very interesting dish.. so good.

    Following U :)

    Do visit me as time permits
    http://comeletseat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this curry dish, Lena. Cook some vermicelli, add in some of this curry, gosh, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. he he he, I cooked same dish last week, but haven't posted it yet

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooo. Salted fish head! I have never tasted that before.. salted fish i have! I can see why u would need a change of clothes but it will be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lena, Holy Smoke! This looks reallt delicious. I have never eaten this particular dish, though I love salt fish.
    Especially that ikan sepat or Kuantan salt fish.

    I think makan your this salted fish curry, its a 2 to 3 plates of rice disappearing trick, ha ha.
    Outstanding, Lena.
    Have a great week.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the shout-out Lema. I love this type of curry but never cook it before. I think my husband will pengsan if he smell the salted fish :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lena, this looks delicious. I'm sure I would this. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. im a big fan of salty foods! hahah i love salted fish in my fried rice...and this is my first time seeing it in curry! mmm why haven't i think of this combination before...looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! this is really unique! I'd never knew salted fish head can go with curry. but it looks really sedap! how do you get rid of the pungent smell from the salted fish?

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi joyce: if we 're staying next to each other, theni think maybe both of us will be busy knocking on each other's doors!

    yummykoh: ok, ok!

    kenny: eh, malacca doesnt have this kind of curry meh?

    elin: yes, cepat2 lari kuat!

    waikitt: yes, you definately will!

    m.arif: hi! thanks for leaving a comment here. will visit you very soon!

    cheah: oh yes! yummy!

    pete: good eh?

    daphne: yes, definatley have too, it will be a turnoff to everyone!

    lee: 2/3 plates not enough..probably the whole pot of rice, haha!

    gert: ya, i think many orang putih not fond of this..like durian.

    mary: thank you!have a nice day to you too!

    jean: this dish is very appetising..to me!

    alan: i have no intention to get rid of that smell but maybe you can clean and soak them in water for about 10minutes before frying them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness. This is something very very new and unique to me. I didn't know that Salted Fish can use for curry too. The most is salted fish tofu soup. And yours sure look delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dish really looks tasty! This is an excitingly new recipe for me. I'm sure this would go well with steamed rice or if not with your soft cream bread! I just love to try different curry dishes. They are suppose to be good for you! Cheers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love to cook this delicious dish but I have to wait for my son to be ready to eat all these yummy spicy food.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't ever remember seeing/tasting this sorta curry in Malacca. Is it a sorta secret Peranakan dish, perhaps? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummie, I love salted fish, but have not had with curry...will have to try this dish. I like the lemongrass in it as well. Hope you are having a great week Lena :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. ellena: oh, that salted fish tofu soup..havent had that for sooo long!

    arthur: you eat curry too?

    zoe: haha!..very soon..!

    kenny: i dont know..always thought so..!

    juliana:yes, lemongrass will also give a distinctive flavour in curries!

    jay:..all that you want!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yum, this is my dad's favourite curry. Yes, good advice to take a shower! When we were little, we were called little "karavadu"(tamil for salted fish) if we didn't want to bathe :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Too bad my kids kenot eat spicy food, else I'll sure giv this a try!;D

    ReplyDelete
  24. this dish and your blog are new to me. But I am glad I discover both :)

    ReplyDelete