Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pumpkin Chiffon Cake


I'm a chiffon cake lover. There are huge varieties of  flavours that we can think of for baking a chiffon cake. From fruits to vegetables to nuts and there's even onion flavour and one with dried shrimps too that i saw in kevin chai's chiffon book. For more ideas on chiffon cakes, you can also have a look at the Chiffon Cakes Round up for the Aspiring Bakers Challenge last Nov. There are over 50 different flavours submitted in by all fellow bloggers! Isnt that amazing?! I've bookmarked a few from there and also this one no exception, a pumpkin chiffon , which i saw in Christine's Recipes blog. Christine is not only a good baker, she's a good cook as well, all delicious looking chinese and asian dishes in there.
My chiffon is relatively shorter compared to christine's as i was using a wider inch pan, 9". Instead of pumpkin seeds, i put in some diced pumpkin into the chiffon. During the folding process, i think i've deflated the egg whites a bit therefore it was not as light as it should be. The beaten egg whites came out stiff but i think it would be a little more stiff if i have added a little cream of tartar into the egg whites. Overall, it was a nice and soft chiffon, gone within a day!





Recipe ( adapted from Christine's Recipes, makes two 17cm round )
100gm pumpkin( peeled, steamed and mashed)
40gm pumpkin (peeled, steamed and diced )
35gm milk
35gm vegetable oil
8gm cointreau
100gm cake flour
100gm egg yolks
200gm egg whites
100gm caster sugar
70gm pepitas ( i omitted )



Preparation:
1. Steam the 100gm of pumpkin over high heat until cooked through. Press with a spoon or food processor into paste when it's still hot. However for the 40gm of pumpkin, you dont need to steam for too long as you do not want to get a really soft chunk of pumpkin.
2.Sift cake flour
3.Mix milk, oil and cointreau in a bowl.
4.If you are using pumpkin seeds/pepitas, bake in a preheated oven at 150C/300F for 4-5 minutes until they expand.

Method:
1.Combine pumpkin puree into milk,oil and cointreau mixture. Mix in cake flour.
2.Add egg yolks in pumpkin mixture. Combine well.
3.Beat egg whites with an electric mixer until foamy and then add in 1/3 of the sugar at a time and beat well between additions. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
4.Spoon out 1/3of the beaten egg whites and mix into the pumpkin batter.
5.Lightly fold in the rest of the beaten egg whites and mix into the pumpkin batter .
6. Add in the diced pumpkins or pepitas ( whichever you are using ) into the batter and mix well. Pour batter into cake pan and level the surface with a spatula.
7. Lightly tap the pan on a table top to getrid of any trapped air bubbles inside the batter.
8. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C/365F for 10minutes or until lightly brown. Decrease the temperature, 150C/300F upper, 170C/335F lower and continue baking for 15-20minutes.( i baked mine middle rack at 180C for 10minutes and 160C for 20minutes)
9.Remove from oven and invert cake immediately and allow to cool completely.
10.Use a long and fine knife to loosen the sides of the cake. Remove from pan.

40 comments:

  1. Hi Lena, how you do it, I not be knowing, ha ha. But your cakes really have beautiful texture...and you sure very good with your camera too.
    Looks 3D.....almost put my hand out to grab a piece, ha ha.
    This looks delicious. Can practically get the beautiful scent of it.
    Lena.....you are good!
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have yet to try this flavours, must try soon. Yours look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm...I love pumpkin desserts! I need to give this chiffon cake a try, I bet it is incredible! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks healthy and delicious. I have yet to try pumpkin chiffon before, putting in diced pumpkin is a good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks really soft and fluffy. so soft that i feel like resting my head on the chiffon cake hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chiffon cake is my choice when come to baking something low in fat. Furthermore with fruits or vegetables. Your pumpkin chiffon cake really is the best selection. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lena! I love chiffon cakes too and this recipe certainly stirred my curiosity! Clever use of cointreau with pumpkin, must be really aromatic! I'm not surprised that it'll be gone within a day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. such light and fluffy texture! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love how there are chunky bits in your chiffon.  pumpkin flavor is actually quite nice, the previous time I made it, I added sesame. Think next time I'm just gonna do just like you, pure pumpkin chiffon. Nice soft texture btw! 

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am also a chiffon cake lover!! Love the yellow hue!! So far, I have not tried any pumpkin bakes yet... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your pumpkin chiffon cake is so soft and fluffy, I want to eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Actually, I'm a chiffon cake lover too! but so far,i have not try to bake any chiffon cake yet!Really have to give me a chance to try once.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is on my to do list to bake on day! a lovely chiffon cake! So light and fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, very fluffy & lovely chiffon! I like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lena...fluffy and light...ohhh yummyumm

    You have changed your layout ...nice layout ! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake has such a lovely crumb. I'll wager this is delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pumpkin pulak.. what next, Lena??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cakes, love all kinds of cake....got sweettooth lah! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi lee, no, i'm not good at photo taking and let me tell you that if you see me taking these photos, you will be surprised to se how frustrated and stressful i am!

    hi sonia: i love your recent green tea chiffon too, very beautiful!

    hi cristina: try making this someday, it's soft and nice! you would love them!

    hi min: yeah i think the diced pumpkin not a bad idea, can eat them!!

    jean: you always make me giggle! oh no! dont rest on it dear!!

    hi vivian: true, not so fattening and we can eat a lot too, pretending not to feel too guilty, haha!

    alan: that cointreau isnt my idea, i just followed the recipe, i think maybe i shld add a litle more next time!

    jess: yup, it has a good texture of chiffon but shld have been lighter if my folding was more gentle!

    Bee: you mean sesame seeds? ah! that will be a different texture too with seeds to chew in. The taste of this chiffon is not bad.

    hanushi: i would like to try black sesame for my next chiffon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love chiffon cakes too! They are light and not too sweet, so we can finish a whole cake in a day, just like you! :) Your cake looks really good. Would love to have two pieces of this!

    ReplyDelete
  21. lena, my gosh .. I LOVE your blog. I am very glad you stopped by Quaypo Cooks and left a comment that gave me a chance to link to . (I am the "quaylo", sideman and test dummy to Quaypo). There are many recipes I spotted here that I've added to my must try list. The pumpkin chiffon looks amazing and I love pumpkin in all of its iterations, and frankly, the chase for the lightest, airiest chiffon doesn't hit the target for me and I refer a slightly more dense cake than some of the inflated ones I've seen. I am particularly delighted to find your recipe for making tortillas, which I love but have never tried before. As a former Californian & Texan tortillas were a staple, but always store bought. It was easy for me to switch to the wonderful chapati and roti canai here. I'm looking forward to giving your whole wheat version a whirl and also to following your delightful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It may not be up to your standards, but it sure looks fluffy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the sunshine colour. It looks light and fluffy. Perfect for tea. :) I like giving my boys chiffon as it's light, not as sweet as heavier textured cakes and best of all, few crumbs :) heehee

    ReplyDelete
  24. lena! i was also looking at those entries coz i was "addicted" to baking nice chiffon. yours look so nice, soft and fluffy! (:
    psst, your new blog layout is lovely! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena, Your pumpkin chiffon looks so soft, I would definitely love to try this too!

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi tze: oh, how i wish i cld just share this with you..

    hi wai kitt: hey, if you love chiffon cakes, then you must try baking one! it could be a little tricky in the beginning but i'm sure you can handle that!

    daphne: let me know if you've made it..yah?

    cathy/elin/mary: thanks!

    claire: er, belum tahu lagi..!

    pete: sweet tooth better than sweet mouth! *winks*

    joyce: i think chiffon is the only cake that i can finish it in one day..any flavours without frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mr quaylo: hi, nice to meet you!oh, so you are the quaylo that quaypo used to mention! how are you? Thank you for those nice words you put in here. that's encouraging! i'm not surprised that a quaylo prefers a denser cake, just like most asians we prefer thosde really soft breads. Those tortillas are not difficult to make at all, for me..to roll them really thin was quite a challenge for me but i'm sure you can do it!

    oh janine: no, no..i'm not the one with really high expectations. just that i knew it could be better next time!

    shaz: you're right, normally chiffon cakes are not sweet and almost no crumbs!

    hi jasmine: that list is incredible, so many to choose from!

    hi ann: thank you! oh, this will be an easy task for you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That looks so delicate and moist, I love the flavour of pumpkin in this cake. Just now saw your location as Ipoh, Malaysia. My sister-in-law also lives in Ipoh Malaysia. I'll check your traditional Malaysian recipes and make it for her, next time when she visit us :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum! I love anything pumpkin but this looks especially delicious- so light and fluffy!

    Happy weekend!! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love chiffon too, and I bet this one will taste delicious too ... Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Looks incredibly soft...! I bet it's very tasty too :)!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You know, it's been more than a year eversince I last make my chiffon. My kids not a big fan of it but other family members loving it alot. The golden pumpkin flavour looks simply marvelous. Thanks for sharing it. Have a great weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your cake, looks so light and fluffy.

    Btw, did you recently change the look of your blog? The changes are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lena... I've tag u in an Easter Game @ 5 Recipes To Celebrate Easter!! Pls come & join in the party :)
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Lena,

    Thanks for another great recipe :-)

    Take care and have a nice week

    ~Ron
    *******

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Lena,
    Thanks for your shout-out and link love.
    Love your idea of adding diced pumpkin and giving more fresh and soft texture in the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've kiv this recipe from Christine's blog as well, but don't know when I'll get down to it!

    ReplyDelete
  38. hi umm: is your sis in law a malaysian?

    sues: thanks and happy easter to you!

    doris/CG, yeah, not bad at all!

    kristy: i think so , i hardly see you baking chiffon cakes and i'm sure if you bake one, it must be very impressive one..as well as the flavour!

    victor: yes, i've changed the design, i think this is a little brighter compared to the previous one..

    elin: jom jom party!!

    ron: thanks for taking your time and leave a comment here!

    christine: no problem at all, thanks again for sharing this!

    cheha: yeah, i know you got a very looong list!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. You are a PROfessional!

    Papacheong
    http://home-cook-dishes-for-family.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. This page truly has all of the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.
    Feel free to visit my web page ; learn

    ReplyDelete