Monday, March 14, 2011

Kailan with Braised Taro/Yam


Please welcome Elin's version of baby kailan with braised taro! Braised taro is something that i cook occasionally but never did it with vegetables. More common is braised taro with meat or fish but not with vegetables, it's quite rare to see this too in restaurants. Thanks to elin for sharing this recipe, i would surely cook this again, it's simply delicious and as what elin pointed out, please get a good taro that will be creamy and mushy after cooking.  I couldnt get baby kailan so i used normal kailan instead and replaced the dried squids with dried shrimps. Fans of taro would definately love this dish!





Ingredients: (adapted from Elinluv's Titbits Corner )
4 medium stalks of kailan, cleaned and cut
1 tbsp cooking oil

1/2 taro - cut into cubes
a handful of dried shrimps
some chopped garlic
2 tbsp of cooking oil
1 1/2 cup of water
1 tsp of chicken granules
pinch of salt

Method: ( with slight changes)
1. Blanch the kailan in a pot of water, add a few drops of cooking oil and blanch for 5 minutes till soft and cooked. Drain dry and left aside.
2. In a wok, fry the taros for several minutes till slightly brown. Remove from wok and keep aside.
3.Saute garlic and dry shrimps till fragrant and add in the cubed taros, chicken granules and salt. Stir fry till evenly mixed for 2-3 minutes. Add in water and braised the taro till creamy and gravy is slightly thick.
4. Pour gravy on top of blanched kailan and toss to mix well.

13 comments:

  1. Lena...glad u like this dish too. Thanks for the link ;) I love this dish . The next time I cook this I will use dried shrimps. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lena, this looks really delicious! I love it, but will take a pass on that yam.
    For some reasons, I have not got a taste for yam. Wife loves it though.
    Its cheap here too, that kai lan.

    Next day you cook hum choy pai kuat tong send me telegram, ha ha.....my favourite dish.
    As well salted fish, either Kuantan hum yee or that ikan sepat.....
    You really a fantastic cook!
    Have fun, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! When I saw it I thought of Elin because I remember her posting about it before - looks like you had the same idea ;] I need to cook with taro. I do love it, but I've never cooked with it myself before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. never tried taro in vege b4! this looks really refreshing and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have bookmarked this recipe too, must quickly get a good taro to try this out since so many bloggers highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really delicious! I really love yam, really good in anything, never had in with green veggie before. I have a yam plant growing in my garden! This dish looks really good, something that I need to try out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful and I love the vibrant color of your dish. This is something I know I'd enjoy. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting way to cook baby kailan. I love taro...

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah wah wah this looks too mouthwatering! think i'll end up draining the sauce as well and shower my rice with them :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi elin: this is a great dish to share with my parents too, i'm sure they will love this too!

    lee: oh, that ham shoy ting, very appetising! you loke salted fish, ok next time i'll do it for you!!

    roxan: yeah, saw elin cooking this during the cny, very tasty!

    jess, it's my first time cooking with vege too and turns out really nice!

    sonia: yes, i saw a few making them and i know i have to make this soon!

    kitchen flavours: thanks again for the awards. You growing yam too, how convenient, actually i have some questions reg gardening , will chk with you later..

    mary: yes, this is refreshing and healthy too and serves great with rice!

    hi pete: nice to see you again. I think this is also good with spinach..

    jean: yes, the gravy is deiclious, just ensure that it is slightly thick, simple and easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Creamy taro paired with some crunchy kailan... now that's inspired! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Emmmm interesting combination. Sweet and soft yam pair with crunchy kailan... must try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. kenny: do you think this will make devil happy?

    hi ellena: yes, great recipe from elin, do try this !

    ReplyDelete