Thursday, February 17, 2011

Nutty Banana Bread


When i saw Britanny from les reves d'une boulangere making this banana loaf , i knew that i wanted to make this too. I think i was somehow got captivated by the picture shown on her blog..so nutty. I've checked thru the ingredients and realised that there's an italian oo flour was used here but according to brittany, we can subsitute this with normal plain flour. So I have used self raising flour here in replacement of the plain flour and the italian oo flour. Simply delicious, the taste is is quite similiar to the banana cake but it's not oily and not too sweet. This banana bread is a lighter version compared to banana cakes , dont expect it to be very rich, it's not and yet full of banana flavour and moist. Thanks brittany for the recipe. I used pecan nuts and also added in some oats and lots of wheatgerm into it for added texture. Love that!



Ingredients:
1 cup plain flour (  i used 1/2 cup )
1 cup Italian oo flour ( i used 1 1/2 cup of self raising flour)
1 tsp baking soda ( i used 1/2 tsp baking soda)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 heaped tbsp greek yogurt or natural yogurt( i used  plain yogurt)
1tsp vanilla bean or extract
3 ripe medium-large bananas, mashed
1/3 cups crushed walnuts or almonds + 1/4 cups crushed walnuts or almonds ( i have used a combination of pecan nuts, oats and wheatgerm)

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Line a loaf tin. Sift together the flours, salt and baking soda, set aside.
2.Mix the egg,sugar, vanilla and vegetable oil together using a whisk until combined, when whisking try to lift so that some air is incorporated for lightness. Pour into flour mixture and stir.
3.When just combined, add in yogurt and mashed bananas, stir to combine.
4. Fold through desired 1/3 cups of nuts and pour into baking tin. Now sprinkle 1/4 cup of nuts on top of loaf mixture. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Leave in tin for 10 minutes before removing from tin.

Linking this post to Seasonal Sundays

32 comments:

  1. Banana bread looks deeeelicious! Look at that texture! I wish I could have a piece :D. I would totally use pecans too, I like those nuts better than almonds or walnuts. Oats and wheatgerm make it even healthier! Beautiful bread Lena :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my!! Lena the cake looks so rustic and beautiful!! i bet the texture must be divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bread is beautiful, it has the look of 'country-home' to it! Looks delicious too. Would be great with a cup of "Ipoh-pak-kopi"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, I love this, with my favourite nuts and oat also. Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nutritious, yet delicious! I love the texture, it looks really soft and moist. Not dense like the usual banana bread. I will try it out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lena, I love this nutty bread! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lena..this is lovely....so nutty and healthy too with oats and wheatgerm :) thumbs up !

    ReplyDelete
  8. it look so yummy and i can smell the fragrance of banana! (: (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. great way to enjoy banana cake without feeling guilty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lena I am so thrilled to see that you liked my banana bread and went ahead to make it! Yours looks even better than mine - it was a stroke of genius to add in nuts and wheatgerm. Thanks so much for mentioning me and making the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ps. Next time I bake it, I'll add in some oats like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. imagine how it taste like!! in old town there is one shop selling nutty bread.. not bad too! but yours here a lot of liew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks definitely delicious with all the ingredients that I love. So good for breakfast :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena I love banana bread! Now I want to make some, it's been a while. Actually, I just want to eat some. I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love banana cakes. Have not tried banana. It looks very delicious with all the nuts there.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena, you are so generous with the amount of nuts in this bread. This is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lena, this is the kind of sweet bread we always have in the house. I like the nut combination you made. Your bread looks so fluffy. Maybe because you sift and whisk so diligently. I'll follow your recipe for my next improved banana bread! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, never seen this one before.
    Looks very crunchy nice too.
    You sure one very creative lady.

    Looking at it, I guess it requires dexterity, delicacy, finesse, coordination and patience on your part to bring out this masterpiece.
    Outstanding!
    Have a great weekend,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This banana bread looks soooo tasty! I love the chopped pecans on top! Mmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lena, I just tried making bread with 00 Italian flour, brought back from Melb. Not too bad, texture very fluffy, will post it next week. But your banana bread looks so crunchy! Nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. sharon, thank you..sure you can make this too!

    jess: love the lighttexture in here.

    wendy: good for anytime..

    kitchen flavours: oh yeah, ipoh white coffee is addictive too!

    min, try it out !

    esther: you will love this, moist and not oily!

    tze: thanks for your comments

    elin: yeah, it was good with the oats and wheatgerm, not taste but the texture.

    sweety: mmm..yes, full of flavour!

    jean: yes, u are right

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks fabulous! I would love to have this for tea. Ooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. brittany: thanks again for the recipe, this banana bread is something unusual from the normal ones.

    claire: i think i know which shop you are talking about..they sell mostly wholemeal type of bread and rolls.

    hi ann, maybe you should also try this out someday with your favourite toppings.

    roxan: haha!! banana bread attack??

    mary, maybe you cna try making some banana cakes/bread since you like them so much, it's easy.

    hi zoe: actually i think i put in more oats and wheatgerm, thanks dear!

    hi arthur: hope you will like this, let me know the results if you're making this..

    uncle lee: your comments always make me **blush**, you are too nice!!

    sweetpeas: thanks, cristina!

    hi cheah: oh you got the oo flour? looking eagerly for that post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Lena, this sure looks like a healthynloaf of banana bread. I sure wish my kids will eat this version over the sweet and greasy kind, heehee. ;) but thanks for sharing thia, will make it for my parents next week. :))

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lena, this really looks delicious and it certainly is easy enough to make. That's the best part of banana bread. The other plus is that no special ingredients are needed to make it. I'd love to have a slice of this. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. I miss those banana bread. I hardly have time to bake recently.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am liking the mix of nuts and oats as toppings! Nuts and bananas just go so well together!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lena! Thank you for pointing out that I didn't finish the instructions. They were baked :)

    You should hear how I give driving directions.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lena, I love the nutty toppng. It definitely a perfect combo between the two. Thanks for introducing to us.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  30. honey bee, make this one day and hope your parents wld like this.

    mary: easy to make, simple ingredients and delicious!

    quaypo: great for breakfast too!

    little inbox: nice to see you here. I know that you're over loaded with work but still hope to see more of your bakes!

    crustabakes: nuts are always welcomed in cakes or breads, gives extra texture.

    roxan: **wink**

    hi kristy, y're welcomed and thanks to brittany too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Like the look of this bread, so full of nuts, can imagine how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete