Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mushrooms Wholemeal Pizza


hi everyone, thank you for all your wonderful CNY messages. I had quite a peaceful and relaxing new year , most of the time i was in my house lazed around and watched tv except for meeting up with some really good buddies whom we knew each other since primary. I thought it would be a complete bake-free week for me but no, last minute i decided  to bake a cake to bring over to dinner at my friend's place. I will post that up later .
Coming back to the pizza today, i've made the pizza base using a combination of wholemeal flour and bread flour, the result is a slightly rougher texture. But i  find that upon eating the slice of pizza,  i could hardly differentiate whether it's a wholemeal or plain white pizza base. But the mushrooms fillings were delicious! I've made this base ahead and kept it in the fridge for 2 days before actually making the pizzas. After the dough has risen, i baked the dough at 160C for about 10 minutes, let it cool and put in the fridge.If you're making the pizza right away, just cook the fillings over a pan, spread them over the pizza base and bake until cheese is melting and base is slightly puffy around edges. I used a varity of mushrooms here for the filling plus some dried oregano , i do not have have an exact quantity of the fillings, just go as you wish.



Basic wholemeal thin pizza base ( from 500 pizzas and flatbreads)
Ingredients ( makes 3 12 inch pizza base) i made 1/3 of the recipe

115gm( 4 oz) plain flour
125gm( 4 1/2 oz) strong white bread flour
125gm(4 1/2oz) wholemeal flour
5ml (1tsp ) granulated sugar
5ml ( 1tsp) easy blend dried yeast
5ml (1 tsp ) salt
22ml ( 1 1/2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
225ml (8 fl oz) warm water

Method:
1.Combine the flours.Mix 225 gm( 8 oz) of the flour with sugar, yeast and salt in a bowl of standing mixer. Set aside. Combine oilve oil and warm water. With paddle attachment, slowly stir in the water and oil into the flour mixture until well combined. Mix in the remaining flour.
2.Change to dough hook attachment and knead on low for 4 -5 minutes, until dough comes together as a ball and is smooth and elastic. If knead by hand, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 10 mins.
3.Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth.Set aside in a warm spot for 1 1/2 to 3 hrs, until dough has almost doubled in volume.
3.Once dough has risen, divide the dough into 3 equal portions, shape each portion into ball, and flatten to form a disc. Using fingers or rolling pin, stretch out each disc to 12inch round, which is very thin- about 2mm ( 1/2 inch). i used fingers to stretch out the disc but i didnt manage to get to the edge of the 12inch pan, therefore it was not as thin as it should be.

Fillings:
portobello mushrooms, button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, white beech mushrooms,, some dried oregano, grated mozarella cheese

some tomato paste to spread onto the pizza base.

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 160-170C.Heat olive oil in a pan , add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 10mins and mushrooms are tender. Add in dried oregano.
2.Spread the filling over the tomato paste and sprinkle with some mozarella cheese. Bake for 5-10minutes until cheese is melting and base is puffy around edges.


This post is linked to Seasonal Sundays

32 comments:

  1. Wow Lena I love this! I love mushrooms and they sound great on pizza! Healthy pizza too since it's wholemeal lol. Looks so delicious! Reminds me of a mushroom bruschetta that I absolutely love a restaurant here. YUMMM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy CNY Lena! hope you had a great break! the pizza looks simplyy delish!! can i grab a few slices? hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love pizzas, especially thin crust ones. yours looks even better better than those sold in restaurants! happy chinese new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, Lena, this looks awesome! I love pizza, and I love love love mushrooms. I could eat a whole pie of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering pizza... looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and your family. Too bad that u can't make it this Saturday for the pot luck. Well, next time :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, No gambling-kah? I did and lost some. He! He! Your pizza looks great! Love the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wah, so many mushrooms!!!
    I love it!
    If the wholemeal flour in it in undetectable when eaten, I think better use it, hahaha. Sometimes kids and men don't like wholemeal stuff. Do you have this problem?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought making pizza took lots of effort.... U r one hardworking lady who loves to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back Lena! The pizza looks delicious with so many mushrooms. Such a yummy looking pizza. What is strong white bread flour and easy blend dried yeast? Did you use a pizza stone? I would love to try this out with bbq sauce and chicken with some parsley. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pizza with mushrooms! With all time favorites like button, portobello and oyster, who needs meat! A welcome treat it is, Mediterranean style! Nice to see you in the kitchen again! The warmest place in the house I always say!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I love mushrooms in pizza, and your look fabulous with lots of mushrooms :-) yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lena...looks great..homemade ones are always nice to eat. You can put in any ingredients as toppings and yours has a lot of mushrooms. I love mushrooms ....great toppings for pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pizza looks inviting, especially with lots of mushroom ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mmmm...love that. I have to learn and make pizza, too. My children loves to order pizza. Love that mushroom topping. Looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds so good! I adore mushrooms and I've never met a slice of pizza I didn't love:-). I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy New Year, Lena! I love your pizza, especially with so many types of mushrooms, sure very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. lovely and YUMMY! is so healthy too (: (: i love those variety of mushrooms! and wholemeal stuffs! *hungry*

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think the wonderful topping would take the attention away from the rougher crust texture. A good way to sneak in those extra fibers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been meaning to make my own pizza. Yours looks great! Mushrooms are a favourite of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. sharon, i wld like to have a taste of bruschetta

    hi jess, i had a quite a nice cny celebration here and as i'm typing this now, there are sounds of fire crackers here and there near my house, today is the 9th day festival and at 12am afterwards, the sounds of those firecrackers will explode everywhere.

    thanks, jean. hope you had a wonderful cny holidays!

    hi roxan, yeah this was delicious, try making this with all your favourite mushrooms.

    DG: i'm still thinking of your kuih lapis!

    Swee san: yeah, hope you can make a trip down to ipoh one day instead!

    hi vincent: will take note of this, thks!

    kitchen flavours: no gambling but actually feel like playing mahjong but no' kaki'!

    wendy: sometimes it depends on the fillings, if it's their fav fillings, then no problem but if it's just plain wholemeal bread, then it's not so favourable.

    chrisau: you are 50% correct, i love to cook but not very hardworking..it really depends on mood and weather, haha!!

    esther: strong white bread flour is the type of flour that contains high gluten and in this cse, i use high protein flour which is normally used to make breads that make the end results chewier. as for the yeast, it's instant yeast. No, i did not use a pizza stone, just baked using a pizza pan on an electric oven.

    hi arthur: i'm not sure is the kitchen is the warmest place but definatley a place where i can let go of my stress and frustrations!

    juliana: hi, nice to see you here and thanks!

    elin, couldnt agree more with you, we just put anything we like and we can always come out with own creations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. nyeeleoh: thanks!

    marymoh, i think you shld. it's not difficult to make at all.

    mary: i love pizzas too and over here , we have pizzas that also blend in some asian spices like tom yum and curry.

    Min, this was good and surprisingly, kids also love that!

    sweety: yummy yes but never really get to taste the wholemeal base

    crustabakes, yes, it did, the topping was the star! it had already covered the bread.

    thanks brittany!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I tend to add wholemeal flour into my pizza dough too, healthier =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. This pizza looks great! It is hard to beat a homemade pizza! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lena, I love this, mushroom pizza, so yummy. I have bought the wholemeal flour but yet to use it, I must really make it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my goodness, this really looks delicious..totally love the topping combination!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh yum!! I recently got over my fear of mushrooms and now I cant get enough of them!!

    I wanted to invite you to share this recipe (and others) at a weekly event I host titled Seasonal Sundays.
    As you might guess- this recipe fits the theme!! (There for seriously stood out to me!)
    I LOVE Seasonal food :)

    Excited to have found your Blog!! :) Happy Friday!
    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Lena! I was having some linky Tool Problems!
    but its fixed now- so you can link up :)
    (Sorry for this- the tool I subscribe to is experiencing an upgrade today)
    -Brittany-

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mushroom pizza is my favorite pizza. Looks like a good dough recipe, I like a whole wheat crust, has a nutty flavor.

    -Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pizzas are so easy to make. I'll posting two pizza recipes very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you used so many different kinds of mushrooms. I'll have to try this on a gluten free pizza crust as some point!

    ReplyDelete