I made this cake for a little meet up with some very close school mates during Chinese New Year. All of us have known each other since primary, we went to the same tuition classes, we cycled to school together, we were girl guides and after finishing our secondary school, the group sort of got separated; some went to Form 6, some to KL, Singapore and Australia. Nevertheless, we still keep in touch with each other very often and make sure that we do not lose contact with anyone. We are now communicating even more, thanks to facebook!
I made the sponge cake in the morning itself and after it has cooled down, i put in the fridge for easy slicing later. The blueberry filling is quite easy to make, not complicated and this is not the creamy blueberry type of filling. I should describe it almost like gelato type and it's best to eat them chilled . Sorry for the photograph, the one showing the sliced cake is in total poor quality. All of the photos that i took on that night were very blur.I did not know what happened until i saw them in my computer. I must have clicked on the wrong mode or something and didnt bother to check the photos then , i guess i got too carried away with the conversations going on at the dinner table that night.
Sponge cake recipe ( pls refer to my Mango Mousse Cake , for a 10inch cake)
- Slice the cake into 2 equal slices and put them into a sponge ring
Ingredients for filling:
10oz full cream milk
30gms gelatine powder
4 egg yolks
10oz blueberry pie filling
5oz non diary whipping cream
3oz diary cream
some fresh blueberries
1. Gently boil full cream milk, gelatine powder and sugar over a pot of simmering water until gelatine melts.
2. Let the gelatine mixture cool down and add in the egg yolks. Stir until smooth.
3. Add in the blueberry pie filling. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, whisk the non diary whipping cream till soft peaks and add in the diary cream and continue whipping for another minute.
5. Bring in the blueberry filling (3) and fold in the whipping cream to combine. Throw in some blueberries here.
6. Pour half mixture onto the 1st piece of sponge, add the 2nd piece of sponge and top with another layer of the blueberry filling. Chill the cake until the filling is set.
7. Remove cake from cake ring and decorate. Chill cake before serving.