Monday, January 3, 2011

Sambal Squids


this is one of my favourite dish and i can tell you that i can eat bowls and bowls of rice with this. The squids can be easily available in the fresh market or even at the supermarkets here but usually i get the ones that are larger in size, i always find the smallers ones are a bit soft. It doesnt take too long to come up with this dish cos usually i already have some homemade sambal paste that i usually keep in the fridge. I dont usually make these paste much ..enough for a few dishes maybe like sambal petai (stink beans /bitter beans), four angled beans, hot and sour pork trotter, etc. I will include here as well how do i make these paste.


Sambal paste:
Pound all these ingredients together:
10 shallots+5 pips garlic+ around 1.5"x1" toasted belacan. Pour 3 tbps of oil in wok and fry them on low fire till fragrant. Lastly add 80gm chilli boh and keep frying till aromatic and a little dry. This will take around 10-15minutes.
It is not necessary to add in sugar, salt or any other seasoning as this can be added in during the cooking later on. This paste can be kept in the fridge for about a month and this is how it looks like..

sambal paste


Sambal Squid
Ingredients:
squids, around 400gms, cleaned and cut criss cross if you wish
1 big onion, cut into strips
2 tbsp sambal paste
small handful of dried shrimps, soaked, cleaned and chopped finely
oil for frying ,
1 1/2 tsp sugar
salt for taste

Method:
1.Blanch squids over boiling water for a minute till they are curl up. Leave aside
2.In a wok, saute the dried shrimps till aromatic and add in sambal paste and fry for a minute.
3 Add in the blanched squid and stir fry for another 2 minutes. If you find the sauce it a bit dry, you can add sprinkle a little water.
4.Add in sugar and salt according to own taste. Continue frying for another minute and dish up .


Am submitting this post for the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Event.

19 comments:

  1. Lena serve me this for lunch with a bowl of pipping hot rice please!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Looks so delicious and my stomach is calling now ;DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too - can give me a bowl of rice, pls. Looks great ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow your sambal squid looks so delicious. I love spicy food. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A big bowl of steam rice with this and I am goooood! ;D Happy New year Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh this looks so good... and dying for some rice (white or nasi lemak) to soak up all that sambal goodness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear friends, thank you all for your 'hungry' comments!

    hi honey bee, you're back. Happy new year to you!!

    hello dine with lenny, happy new year to you and thanks for coming by here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh...I am eyeing this with total jealousy! Drooling and longing for a few pieces of that but my throat is still painful and tight :( Just wait till I recover and I will cook a pot :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena, the sambal squid looks so delicious, I want a bowl of rice too ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought some squid 3 months back, hahaha, and they're still frozen. Well, I was on low kitchen mojo for 3 months.
    I think I'll cook them with sambal within this week after looking at yours. It's make me salivate la.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never tried squid before...but it looks and sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing a new recipe with me...and thank you for your kind words on my blog! I hope you are having a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 2011, Lena!

    The sambal look delicious. love love love sambal. can't cook sambal now becos my boy can't take spicy food...haix

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delicious seafood!!! Sambal makes all the difference! With squid, this is eating experience at its best! My mouth waters just thinking about it!
    Wish you the best of the New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Believe it or not, I have not hands on to cook squid before, but I do love squid. Yours looks so good.
    Happy New Year 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum, salivating already! Must make some of the sambal paste to keep in the fridge, such a good idea. Thanks for the great MM submission :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lena...I am salivating already :p

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there, thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been looking at your old recipes and they look lovely!

    Looking forward to seeing more of your posts throughout 2011,
    Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lena, was at Chris Au's place noticed your callsign and busybody over.
    I too love this sambal squid.
    I can see you have a Black Belt in cooking.

    If not for women who can cook I would have remained a bachelor longer, ha ha.
    Happy new year to you and keep a song in your heart, best regards, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. thanks everyone for all your nice comments.

    uncle lee, no belt yet..still hanging loose..shall be a busybody now and hopping over to yr blog.

    ReplyDelete