Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hazelnut Cocoa Cookies


Yesterday I read in someone's blog that she's rather confused about Chinese New Year cookies , she's not too sure too which are really the CNY cookies and which are not. Well, i told her that there's really no classification but we have the traditional types of cookies which normally can be found in most homes during Chinese New Year such as peanut cookies, almond cookies, cashewnut cookies, kuih bangkit and the ever famous pineapple tarts. But as years passed by with some influence from the western countries, people have come up with macadamia nut cookies, cornflake cookies, cereal oaty cookies, even biscotti for Chinese New Year and this is one of those, hazelnut cocoa cookies. You probably wont find this selling at the mall, it's homemade and i got this recipe from a weekend baking class sometime back. These cookies are not melt in your mouth type but simply full of aroma from the hazelnut, tender and fluffy, if you want it to be more crunchy, just extend the baking time slightly longer.

I will be submitting this post to the Aspiring Baker #3- My Favourite CNY Cookie (Jan 2011) hosted by Jess





Ingredients: (yield 70-80 pieces)
375gms butter
200gms icing sugar
3 size A eggs
480gms plain flour
180gms rice flour
1/4 +1/8tsp soda bicarbonate powder
1/4 tsp double action baking powder
2tsp salt
150gms ground hazelnut
4 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder

Method:
1. Beat buter and icing sugar until creamy, then add in eggs in batches and beat again till well mixed. Then add in plain flour, rice flour, soda bicarbonate, baking powder and salt to form a dough.
2.Divide the dough into 2 equal parts, add in 150gms of ground hazelnut into one part of the dough and the cocoa powder into the other half of the dough.
3.Put the cocoa layer of the dough onto a parchment paper, roll it flat, probably around 0.5cm in thickness, then add on the hazelnut layer, roll it flat with the same thickness on top of the cocoa layer. Freeze for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the dough and cut with a cookie cutter, bake at moderate heat for 35minutes. I baked mine at 140C.

From the picture, you can see that the hazelnut layer is much thicker than the cocoa layer, it's because i didnt measure the thickness.




Eventually you will also get some cookies that look like this because after you have cut them all out using the cutters, you will have to gather back all the dough and this time around the two doughs will be kind of mixed together. 

28 comments:

  1. the texture and color looks fabulous! bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lena, the cookies look terrific! I like the touch of hazelnut. Very fragrance! I also like the texture especially. I think it's because of the rice flour. Nice job. Send me some, will you? hehe... Have a nice day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lena, if there was any reason for me to LOVE a blog, this is it!! I love chocolate bars with hazelnuts in them, I love chocolate hazelnut spreads like nutella, and now chocolate and hazelnut cookies! These look amazing, I'm definitely going to try them one day. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This certainly get me interested. Heh, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. jess, it has got a nice texture, not crumbly but tender.

    angelinebk: yes, you can replace that with almond but i would suggest not to. It is the combination of the hazelnut and choc that makes this cookie special..you wld love the taste of the hazelnut.

    kristy: yes, i probably think the addition of rice flourthat makes the cookie fluffy too.

    sharon: glad to know you like what you are seeing now, happy baking!

    hanushi, probably you can try this someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love hazelnuts! This cookies looks great. I have not started on my CNY cookies yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks easy from the recipe but I sure cannot do.. they will turn out another way.. hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, your cookies look great. A good combo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. u're right! i was kinda confused for a while too, i guess anything goes now, with the fusion of cultures. lovely cookies! i love hazelnut :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read about that too, but I guess those cookies u mentioned are South East Asian CNY cookies. Kuih bangkit and Pineapple tarts are local stuff. Even love letters from HK or Taiwan taste very different than those of ours. But then, I think nowadays, anything goes. As long as it's yummy.

    When I first read the title, I thought u baked with nutella. Haha. I like the layering effect. Looks very special.

    ReplyDelete
  11. it looks so NICE and definitely YUMMY!! im so going to give it a try since i have ground hazelnut! (: (: thank you lena! (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lena,
    How are you dear?Hows everything in Ipoh.Happy to found an Ipoh Blogger.There's nothing less coz I Love all your post.Its truly mesmerized me.Keep rocking dear and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena these cookies look so good. I love hazelnuts, it's one of my favourite nuts actually. This must taste a bit like nutella with cocoa layer? kuih kapit is another CNY favourite. But too much work to make at home i think...=)...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes I like my cookies to be melt-in-the-mouth and sometimes I like them to have quite a bit of crunch - it's FUN! :)

    These hazelnut cocoa cookies seem to fall rather nicely in the latter category. Wouldn't the sound of biting into them sound like the fiery sparkle crackle pop of CNY fireworks? :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting recipe, thks for sharing ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Lena, I have always loved hazelnuts....healthy too.
    And your these cookies just look fantastic.
    I can imagine polishing off 6 pieces with iced coffee, ha ha.
    Have fun and keep well, Lena.
    Best regards,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi kitchen flavours, normally i dont really bake cookies for new year, just one or two small batches, i made this and probably another one mainly for the bakers event.

    claire: you never try, you never know..

    cheah, it's a good combo, delectable!

    jean, i think we' re just too used of eating the traditional ones, ha!

    wendy: i havnet tried the taiwanese egg rolls but i quite like the ones from HKG. as for the layering effect, it just comes naturally..i dont know how it happened!

    sweety: let me know how it turns out if you make these.

    hi kavitha, nice of you to drop by here, i'm very well and thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ya know what, hazelnut and choc, esp dark choc, make my fave combo!!! That's why I ONLY take Ferrero Rochers and when it comes to commercially produced confections ... HAHAHA! They aren't cheap, too ...

    Happy baking to you this CNY! I'm gonna take things REAL slow ... since I'm so busy already ... Don't wanna tire myself just to bake to blog?

    Take care! Thank you for being there for me all the time! Your words are always so comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hello leny: more like a hazelnut biscuit..i dont think i will ever make kuih kapit.. i only have one pair of hands..i rather buy .

    kenny, your imagination are beyond extreme!!

    nyeeloh, yeah, i think this cookies is not so common but nice!

    lee, thanks..i know you'er having heaps of fun there..with syt and cameras too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is really special, I love the double layers of chocolate and hazelnut. Want to try this for CNY if I got enough time :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chocolate and hazelnut is a great combination. sure this will taste heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not imagination lah - just my greed and gluttony! :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Lena! Been away from blogging for a while but still stalking you lol. I remember commenting on this before and my mouth waters everytime I think about it. Now I've finally gotten round to making these gorgeous cookies! Like I said before, love anything that's chocolate hazelnut :D. Fingers crossed that I get this right when I make them tonight! Will let you know how it turns out (hopefully edible *wink*) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi sharon! how are you? i shall reply you back at your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Lena,
    I tried last week, but the mixture seems very dry like bread crumbs :(. Then i added an egg and milk to form a good dough. The end product was hard :'(. How is the texture of the biscuits? TQ

    ReplyDelete
  26. hi anonymous, i'm so sorry! i've missed out eggs in the recipe list. There are 3 eggs, you can use size A eggs . After beating the butter and sugar, add the eggs in batches so that they are well mixed then followed by the dry ingredients. It's crunchy type.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,
      Thanks.
      I tried again last night using only 1/4 recipe without egg. Did not follow the exact measure of the flour, just mix till the dough is form. Tasted ok. Thanks... JJ

      Delete