Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Apple Lady's Apple Cake


Have been tempting to make apple cake for some time, there are many versions available and i only knew that after going thru the internet, they have dutch apple cake, french apple cake, german apple cake . I've yet to really got to know the difference in all those cakes but i came across this in One Perfect Bite by Mary. I'm not quite sure is this the french type of apple cake but I must say that i was somehow got attracted by the looks of the cake , i ran thru the ingredients list ..yup, all available and i decided shall make this one day. Mary said that it's more like a crustless pie rather than a cake which is true, from the picture you can tell and i just love how the slices of apples were beautifully stacked in there. This would be a lovely treat for an afternoon tea.

Some important notes from Mary, " some apples contain more moisture than others so cooking time is not constant. The cake must be firm to touch and a light brown before the topping is applied"





Ingredients: ( from One Perfect Bite )
For Cake:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 fine seasalt (regular table salt can also be used )
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbps vegetable oil
1/3 cup whole milk
Finely slivered zest of 1 scrubbed lemon
2 pounds ( 4-6 ) baking apples, cored, peeled and cut into thin slices

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Finely slivered zest of 1 scrubbed lemon
1tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsps unsalted butter, melted

Method:
1.Preheat oven to 425F. Butter a 9 inch springform pan and set it aside.
2.In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, stir to blend. Add vanilla extract,eggs oil, milk and lemon zest, stir until well combined. Add apples and stir to coat them with batter.
3.Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan. Bake in center of oven until fairly firm and golden , about 25-35minutes.
4.Meanwhile, prepare topping. In a small bowl, combine sugar, egg, melted butter, lemon zest and juice, stir to blend, set aside.
5. Remove cake from oven and pour topping mixture over it.Return cake to oven and bake until top is deep golden brown and cake feels quite firm when pressed with a fingertip, about 10minutes.
6.Transfer cake pan to a rack and allow to cool for 10minutes. Then run a knife around the sides of the pan, release and remove springform pan, leaving the cake on the pan base. Serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 8 servings.

27 comments:

  1. Lena, yes, the cake looks great! It's already half past eleven and you're making me hungry! haha.... I think I'm going to have lots of dream tonight! Apple...apple..apple...
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. kristy, i'm also hungry now going from one blog to another..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lena, wow! I love this! Anymore left? Ha ha.
    Hey...if free drop by my place. Have somehing for you, *wink*.
    Have a good evening, Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i just walked back home and i saw this! makes me very hungry! looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect apple cake! For an afternoon tea or anytime, this is the cake for me! You made so inviting and beautiful that I am inspired to make it too. Delicioso!!!!

    I was actually hoping with bated breath if you could send me the mould as i was reading the other comments! I will take you up on that magnanimous offer! Thank you ever so much. Can't wait to make wonderful things with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! And it looks so moist and full of flavour. I would so love to try a piece, just looking at your photos is making my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the layering.
    Must have taken a lot of time to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena....I love this apple cake. Will try tis and I love Mary's blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks divine! it's weird how i hate fresh apples but love them once they're cooked :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was thinking of making either apple cakes of pies these few days! He! He! This looks wonderful! Would be great with a cup of hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Slicing the apples into thin pieces must be pretty time consuming like Wendy said. It looks really appetizing. It's not easy making it look so pretty. :)

    In response to the last comment, I'm kind of sad that I spent my whole life learning Chinese and I'm only at a third grade level in Taiwan/China. But I'm glad I'm still learning it :) I can watch Chinese dramas and understand 95% of what they're saying. the 5% is the idioms they use.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks super yummy! I made an apple cake for Christmas and it was awesome. I will have to give this recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks super yummy! I made an apple cake for Christmas and it was awesome. I will have to give this recipe a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi uncle lee, what a surprise and that was quick you put it up!

    jess, hope you had a great supper last nite, ha!

    michelangelo, got your mail.

    sharon, yes, it's good, full of flavours from the apple.

    elin, yeah, mary has lots of fabulous recipes..i'll try to make if it calls for ingredients that we can look for over here.

    moc.rita - yes, it's a different feeling altogether once it's baked.

    kitchenflavours, great for tea.thanks! i would love to see your apple cake or apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  15. dear esther and wendy - no, it doesnt take time at all to make the apple layers. Actually there are more apples than the batter itself, it's more like coating the apples with the batter and then pour onto the pan. From there, you just need to neatly level the surface of the batter.. becos of the enormous amount of apples put in. doesnt need to arrange the apple slices, just make sure they are lying flat between the batters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks wholesome and delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! you remind me of my apple (I have a lot of them in my fridge), have to make something too ^^.
    Ps. Your cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for your mention of my blog. I hope you enjoyed the cake. It is a favorite of mine and I love it simplicity. Re your question. You can use nutmeg or the same quantity of cinnamon if mace is not available. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena this looks so yummy. I love anything with apple in desserts. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. your apple cake looks delicious! Can I have a piece, pls ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love apple pie. Yours looks very pretty and delicious. Now I feel like making it, too :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even if it looks like a crustless pie more than a conventional cake, I must say this looks scrumptious. And it makes me wonder if we can substitute the apple with pear, for example?

    The lemon zest would give it some tanginess; I wonder how about some cinnamon to add some sweet spice to its final flavour?

    (Sorry for my thoughts here and there; am curious about the baking process of late but have yet to try, haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  23. hi indie tea, nice to see you here,i've gone to your site and shall drop by more often.

    Mary, thanks again for such a lovely recipe. I will take note of the mace.

    dailydelicious, ooh, waiting to see what you will come out with the apples!

    leny, thanks again!always nice words from you.

    tze, sorry..gone by now!

    yummy koh ,glad to see you here, thanks!

    marymoh- yeah, this is quite similiar to apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. hi kenny, yeah, why not? a little cinnamon powder, a dash of nutmeg perhaps and maybe some dry masala. Try that and let me know. looks like apple lady's apple cake have to be called Kenny's Pear Devil Cake!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nutmeg! Should have thought of that too - it pairs very well with cinnamon and apples.

    And dry masala! That's a stroke of genius... Yum yum yummy! :D

    Kenny's Pear Devil Cake indeed... One slice too many and my shape will start looking like a pear also! :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. A crustless apple pie, this is something I have to try out! I'm usually not a big fan of crusts neither. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete