Monday, December 6, 2010

Kuih Bengka Beras (肥豬肉)- Muhibbah Monday #01



Before i start talking about the kuih, i would like to thank Zoe of bake for happy kids for passing an award to me, 'The Versatile Blogger", thanks Zoe! I received this with great honour and that's very encouraging. I've placed that at the sidebar of my blog.

I think most of us here are quite familiar with this kuih..do they actually have an english name for this..i've seen some name it as white rice cake but sounds a little funny to me , in chinese they call it 肥豬肉and after looking at the photos that i've taken , i think they also look like roasted pork especially the skin. Just another
kind of kuih that i've been longing to make, those who loves the taste of coconut milk would definately love this but for myself, i've actually diluted the coconut milk slightly cos i'm afraid that it would be too creamy for my liking. I made half of this recipe in a 6"x6" tray)


Ingredients: (recipe from Nyonya Flavours)
180gm rice flour
45gm green pea flour
10gm sago flour/tapioca flour
1200ml coconut milk ( i used 400ml coconut milk +200ml water for my half recipe)
200gm sugar
1/2 tsp salt
3 pandan leaves, knotted

Method:
1. Grease a 20cmx20cm (8"x8") square tray with oil, preheat oven to 225C
2. Mix the flours and coconut milk together and straininto a deep saucepan .Add sugar, salt and pandan leaves, cook over low fire until thick, stirring continuously for about 5 mins. Stir right to the bottom to prevent batter from sticking to the pot and burning.
3.Turn off the heat and pour into the prepared tray. Spread with a spatula or spoon to level the surface. Put it into the preheated oven and grill for 30mins or until dark brown and aromatic, turning tray around to even out the colour, if necessary. Cut into squares when cooled


( 7 Dec2010 - just got a suggestion from Shaz from Test with Skewer that i can submit this to the Muhibbah Malaysian Monday Event hosted by Shaz and 3 Hungry Tummies so i am submitting this post in)

20 comments:

  1. Congrats for receiving the award! You deserve it. :) The kuih looks very nice. They remind me of yummy nian gao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks really like roasted pork for moment i was puzzled by the title but its really a adept name! congrats lena you deserved it! and they kuih look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one kuih that I've been thinking of making for a long long time.
    My MIL loves this.

    BTW, ur kuih's top really look like pork crackling, hahaha, looks like the real thing. Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw your picture, I thought you made roast pork just like Anncoo, lol! I have seen this recipe before and always wonder how does the texture of this kuih is like.... Like fatty sKin? You sure succeed in making it look like it. ;)) Good one Lena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not try this before, I'm just wonder how it would taste, must try it out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favourite nyonya kuihs - to eat not to make! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats for receiving the award :) you deserved it and love your kuih beras...I am not good at making nyonya kuih :p but looking at yours I would love to try making this :) Looks delish...exactly like those sold at the nyonya stall :) Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you, ladies...you know, when i saw anncoo posting her roast pork, i was laughing at mine too cos it actually do look like the roasting pork but this is nothing close to the taste. this is a kuih and the crust is not crispy at all..it's sort of chewy, maybe..aiyah, sorry dont know how to describe in words but sonia, i'm surprised that you havent eaten this before..it's quite a common kuih.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lena..too bad u stay in first garden otherwise i would haunt u each time u cook or bake!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. btw honey bee and sonia, the white part of this kuih is very smooth, just like 'fei chu yook' and taste very coconut creamy

    claire - haha! that would be my pleasure if you come but i have to make sure i have lots of food in my house cos i know you got a big stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This kuih is very interesting! They really look slices of fatty roast pork. I must say the brown top of the kuih look delicious :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Lena, for sharing this recipe. I've been searching this for the past couple of weeks. Finally, it shows up here. ^_^ Bookmarked this. Will definitely making it soon.
    Hope you're having a wonderful day.
    Blessings, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lena, I've never had this but it looks wonderful. I'm so glad you stopped by. I'll be back here often. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks just like pork crackling! and the chinese name is rather confusing lol. I've not eaten this b4 n would like to try it..

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI! I'm so glad I discovered your blog. The kuih looks perfect, and really does look like roast pork as well :) I haven't made this before, so bookmarking it. Perhaps you could send it over to 3 HUngry Tummies for Muhibbah Monday eh? :)

    Cheers
    Shaz

    ReplyDelete
  16. The skin looks like roasted pork skin. :) Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's been a long time since I've had this kuih. Ya, only know as 'fei choo yuk' and no other name. Salivating now, time for tea! So you're joining the M'sian Monday too ..... great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. little inbox - yes indeed, ha!

    cheah - yeah, the more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your blog is interesting! There are many beautiful baking! For your kuih it really looks similar to roast pork at first sight :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for the wonderful entry and I want a slice now!

    ReplyDelete