Friday, October 29, 2010

Dragonfruit Flaky Mooncake


I still have some leftover red dragonfruit filling from the moooncakes that i made a month ago..didnt really know what to do with that. So i searched thru some recipes and finally decided to make this one..well, can also be treated as a kind of mooncake in some of the books but this is a pastry. I got this recipe from a weekend baking class sometime last year.. i call this a thousand layered pastry. I personally find that this recipe is quite good in the sense that the skin pastry turns out beautiful unlike in some of the recipe found in books, the skin often turns out to be very oily or looks very oily. I added some pink colouring to the pastry to match with the colour of the filling. This recipes makes around 20 pieces.



Fillings:
Any fillings of your choice, shape into balls , measuring 28gm each.

Pastry A(water skin)
25gm high protein flour
125gm pau flour
1/4tsp Mak Ngar tong ( malt sugar)
45gm cooking oil
90mls water( may not used up all the water )
some colouring

Method:
1. Mix all together in a food processor until it becomes a soft dough. Mix in on pulse mode. Leave aside for 5 minutes and divide into 10equal pieces

Pastry B ( oil skin )
150gm Pau flour
95gm shortening

Method:
1.In a food processor, pulse a few times till it becomes a dough. Divide into 10 pieces.
2.Wrap B into A and wrap up into balls.
3. Roll out into a log cylinder shape and roll up like swiss roll.
4. Turn 45C and roll flat and roll up like swiss roll again. Do this for all the 10 pieces.
5.For each roll, cut into 2 pieces. Roll flat and put filling in.
6, Bake in a moderate heat of 25mins. I baked mine at 160C.

16 comments:

  1. This is very pretty! Guess it's a belated mid autumn celebration? Can you taste the dragon fruit scent in it? Just curious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I love the pink hue on the skin, very girly and nice :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Just want to thank you for dropping by my blog...you have a very pretty pastry here, love the pink!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lena, your pastry goodies look really really scrumptious. Love the girly pink! Oh yes, I tried the dragon fruit lotus paste this year. Very tasty! I got those at other places. Thanks. Hope you're having a wonderful evening.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lena, these pastries look so pretty! Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks all. honey bee, the dragon fruit filling is nice but i doesnt taste like dragon fruit though..maybe some kind of essence..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness, gracious me, they are simply lovely, Lena. I must put this link in my "someday" file, if only...

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lena, when you posted this, Quay Po Cooks was not even born yet! hehe...So happy you include this in your 7 links. LOVE the pasty of this moon cake, looks so flaky! The prettiest moon cake I ever saw!! I don't think I can even imagine I can do something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How do you make the filling? :O Looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. kenny: not so clever to cook the filling yet..this was bought ready made :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. lena: oh i see! The skin alone looks fairly time consuming so it is understandable. I can only dream of being able to buy that kind of filling in Scotland. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kenny: no ready made mooncake fillings over there? not even lotus seed filling?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Actually you are right. I can probably get tinned lotus or red bean paste filling but i don't really like either!

    I wondered if you know how to make taro or green tea filling. Once someone got me some mooncakes from Taiwan with those flavours and they were much lighter than the normal cantonese ones and i fell in love with them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi kenny, i've never made mooncakes filling before but let me refer you to this post, a blogger friend of mine who has made taro filling for her mooncakes..

    http://vivianpangkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/09/thousand-layers-mini-yam-mooncake.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks very much for that link. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my heavens, Lena. Your Mooncakes look so lovely. I'm just going to have to take this link right over to that Dragonfruit post I did a while back.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete