Monday, September 13, 2010
Mango Mousse Cake
There wont be any photos of how the cake looks like inside because i'm not supposed to cut the cake. Usually i will use chokonnan mangoes as i find them really nice and cheap. The below recipe calls for 10inch cake tin, so it's quite a large cake. If you want to try making this cake for your family, you can make half of this recipe for the filling but not for the sponge cake. I dont think we can make half of the sponge cake recipe, i dont know how it will turn out. So normally if i want to bake a smaller cake, i will probably bake this in a 6" or 7" pan and then the extra batter just bake it in smaller cups..if you do not want to waste the batter. Also a reminder that fresh mangoes can also turn brown very fast, maybe in 2 days, so the mangoes that i used for decoration, I put some glaze on it so prevent it from turning brown so fast...otherwise we can brush it with a little bit of lemon juice. But either way, it will still turn brown. Otherwise, we can also use mango pie filling as topping for the decoration...or any other way you like.
Sponge cake recipe:
3 large eggs yolks
1 1/2 oz sugar
3 1/2 oz water
1 oz corn oil
4 oz superfine flour
3/4 tsp soda bicarbonate
3 large egg whites
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 1/2 oz sugar
1. Mix all of ingredient A till smooth. Set aside.
2. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar from ingredient B on high speed. After 2 mins, add sugar , continue beating till stiff
3. Pour the mixture of (1) into (2) and fold gently. Bake in a moderate oven for 45 mins or until cooked.
4. Overturn cake to cool.
5. After cool, slice cake into two separate layers
Mango mouse filling
3 1/2 oz full cream milk
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp gelatine
50gms white chocolate
5 oz non diary whipping cream
200gm mangoes, cut into cubes
1. Sprinkle gelatine over full cream milk, let it soak probably for 5 mins, then add egg yolk and double boil.
2. Keep stirring and continue double boil until gelatine dissolves
3. Turn off fire and add in the white chocolates
4. Let it cool.
5. After gelatine mixture is cool, whisk up the whipping cream till medium stiff . Slowly pour the gelatine mixture inti the cream , put in mangoes and stir to combine.
6. Pour the filling mixture onto one layer of the sponge cake, then top it up with another slice of sponge cake.Chill and let it set.
7.For finishing, we can cover the cake with fresh cream or any way you prefer.