Ingredients ( recipe from Donna Hay )
1/3 cup poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
7 oz butter
1 tbsp finely grated orange rind
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Preheat oven to 160C. Place the poppyseeds and milk in a bowl and stir to combine. Leave aside.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and orange rind in a mixer until light and creamy. Gradually add in the eggs.
3. Sift the flour and baking powder over the btter mixture and add in the orange juice and poppyseed and
milk mixture. Stir to combine and spoon into 20cm baking tin lined with non stick baking paper.
4. Bake for 55-60 mins .
For the syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup grated orange rind
1. Place the sugar, orange juice and orange rind in a saucepan over low fire and stir until sugar is dissloved.
2. Increase the heat and boil 5-6 mins or until syrupy.
3.Pour half of the hot syrup over the hot cake. To serve, cut the warm or cold cake into wedges and pour
over the remaining syrup.
Note: For me, I find that the flavour of the orange in this cake is not strong enough but moist. you may add in more orange rind if you like. I didnt make the syrup for the cake, instead i spread it over with some cream cheese frosting.