Monday, August 23, 2010
Ingredients : ( recipe from Flavours Mag)
6 grade A eggs
180gm brown sugar
450 ripe bananas, chopped
150gm passionfruit pulp
150gm fresh ripe or canned pineapple, diced
120 gm pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 tablespoon dark rum ( optional)
180gm melted butter or vegetable oil
360gm raising flour, sifted
1/2 tsp soda bicarbonate, sifted
1/4 tsp fine salt, sifted
Cream cheese frosting
250gm cream cheese at room temperature, diced
80gm butter, softened
zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp lemon juice or 1 tablespoon passionfruit pulp
80gm icing sugar, sifted
1. Preheat oven at 180C and line a 25cm (10 inch) round cake pan
2.Whisk eggs and brown sugar in electric mixer on medium speed until pale and frothy
3. Mix in bananas, passionfruit, pineapple, pecans, rum and butter (or oil) on low speed
4.Add in combined sifted ingredients and mix well
5. Pour mixture into cake pan and bake for 50-60 mins.
To prepare cream cheese frosting
1. Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice (or passionfruit pulp) in the mixer until
light and fluffy.
2. Add in icing sugar, beat until creamy.
3. Refrigerate 30 mins before using
To assemble, cut the cake into 2 layers and spread with cream cheese frosting on one layer , top it up with
another layer of the cake and spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.
For garnishing , we can use chopped pistachios or passionfruit pulp or dust with cinnamon powder.
Note: Since i omitted the passionfuit pulp, i added about 100gm of pineapple in my halved recipe.
I've seen other recipes of this cake and some of it has ground cinnamon added to the cake ingredients.
If you prefer, you can add 1 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon to the above recipe and add to the combined dry ingredients. For my garnishing, i've topped it up with pecan nuts.